LOR from prez of university....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desiraju01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well see, i sorta have a nice acquintance with the prez of university since i was involved with an organization that has been working with the university for quite some time. even my dad knows him since my dad was a volunteer coordinator and a vice prez of this organization. I was wondering if it is possible to get a LOR from him for med school apps?

let me know if this is ok or not. thanx! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

well see, i sorta have a nice acquintance with the prez of university since i was involved with an organization that has been working with the university for quite some time. even my dad knows him since my dad was a volunteer coordinator and a vice prez of this organization. I was wondering if it is possible to get a LOR from him for med school apps?

let me know if this is ok or not. thanx! :oops:

This has the potential to be pretty sweet. The question, though, is what does "sorta" mean? Does "sorta" mean that he generally knows your name, doesn't hate you, and is buddies with your father? Or does "sorta" mean that he could make specific endorsements of your aptitude for a service profession- complete with concrete examples of your general good character?

If the former, I wouldn't do it... for now. But I would certainly continue to put effort into the relationship.

If the latter, I would totally go for it.

You also want to keep in mind that people usually start out a LOR by stating how and for how long they've known the applicant. If he's known you since you were bouncing on daddy's knee at board meetings then the letter comes off as a character refererence from a powerful and influencial person who knows you come from good people. Most of the time these letters aren't much help (ditto if you babysit for the university president's children).

If the letter can focus on your work for the xyz group and your executive skills, leadership, dedication, etc then it looks better.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get a LOR from the manager at the fast food restaurant where you flip burgers over the summer, do that. President of a university sounds pretty insignificant to me.

If you can get a LOR from the manager at the fast food restaurant where you flip burgers over the summer, do that. President of a university sounds pretty insignificant to me.

:laugh:

hmm, well as long as we dont go to the same school... the president of my school was caught in a big scandal this week for manipulating our reported statistics of alumni giving.

...a couple of my friends had letters from him and are now not quite sure about them anymore.

hmm. i see. i will try and get it.

by "sorta", i only know him through the activities. not on personal basis.