LOR from professor who never taught me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

Is this frowned upon by adcom? I'll TA for an ochem professor this semester while I wait for the professor that I had to teach the class again next year. If it comes to it, will the first professor (whom I've never had as a teacher) be able to write me a valid LOR?

Edit: I am "waiting" for the professor because I will be TAing for them next year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

... they want letters from professors you had directly in class, with performance and character considerations. What?

Reactions: 1 user
... they want letters from professors you had directly in class, with performance and character considerations. What?

Just wondering, no need for the snarkiness. I think it's a good question seeing as though I will be working very close with him for half a year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will be an issue. I only had one science LOR from a professor I took a course with. The other came from an instructor I actually never met before. I was volunteering in a lab and was told by the grad student I could get a LOR if I ever need one. Schools did not seem to have any issue with this either.

Reactions: 5 users
I also only had one science LOR from a professor who taught me. My other science LOR was from a professor who I did research for. As long as its enough for your undergrad's committee process, it's probably fine.

I also only had one science LOR from a professor who taught me. My other science LOR was from a professor who I did research for. As long as its enough for your undergrad's committee process, it's probably fine.

I don't have committee unfortunately:(

Multiple schools that I applied to specifically requested letters from professors which I received a grade from (or committee) which is likely the case for the majority. But you can probably use it as a fourth letter or something. I just feel like you will encounter trouble down the road if you rely on it as a letter from a professor, but no harm in checking The admissions website for each school you are interested in. :)

Edit: example from U Mich, "
  • Two letters of recommendation must be from science professors (instructors with whom you've taken a course, have given you a grade and can write about your academic qualities), and one letter of recommendation from a non-science professor OR a dentist OR an employer. It is strongly encouraged that your science letter be from a basic science instructor."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Multiple schools that I applied to specifically requested letters from professors which I received a grade from (or committee) which is likely the case for the majority. But you can probably use it as a fourth letter or something. I just feel like you will encounter trouble down the road if you rely on it as a letter from a professor, but no harm in checking The admissions website for each school you are interested in. :)

Edit: example from U Mich, "
  • Two letters of recommendation must be from science professors (instructors with whom you've taken a course, have given you a grade and can write about your academic qualities), and one letter of recommendation from a non-science professor OR a dentist OR an employer. It is strongly encouraged that your science letter be from a basic science instructor."

very true. my issue is that i only have one professor which I formed a bond with during my undergrad. im struggling for the other. OSU say they accept TA LOR if its from a large class size however they dont specify whats large

very true. my issue is that i only have one professor which I formed a bond with during my undergrad. im struggling for the other. OSU say they accept TA LOR if its from a large class size however they dont specify whats large

Hmm, that's a bit of a dilemma. That is worth calling and asking what constitutes a large class size. Honestly, this professor would be the ideal letter, but I'd hate for it to not be accepted on a technicality. Is there any chance you can take like a one-credit paper review course, research for credit, or anything he teaches that gets you a letter grade?

Hmm, that's a bit of a dilemma. That is worth calling and asking what constitutes a large class size. Honestly, this professor would be the ideal letter, but I'd hate for it to not be accepted on a technicality. Is there any chance you can take like a one-credit paper review course, research for credit, or anything he teaches that gets you a letter grade?

My professor LOR would be completely legit. Im currently doing research with her and her TA( which im also closer to and could get a LOR from).....I have no time to take another class. I want to apply this upcoming cycle early. I will just have to ask a professor I really never spoke with for the second science faculty LOR. Ill talk to my professor about it and see what teacher she would recommend i ask based on her association. hopefully, her opinion of me would rub off on them when they write the LOR

I know this has been asked before, but I haven't really been able to find a solid answer. If I'm taking a "research" 3 credit class with my PI and receive an actual letter grade for it, would it be a good idea to use it as a science LOR? The class is labeled as a biochemistry course, and my PI is an associate professor in the molecular biology department at my school. I really want to use it since I know it'll definitely be strong, but since it's not technically a lecture based course, I'm not too sure if planning to use it as one of my 4 LORs would be risky...

I know this has been asked before, but I haven't really been able to find a solid answer. If I'm taking a "research" 3 credit class with my PI and receive an actual letter grade for it, would it be a good idea to use it as a science LOR? The class is labeled as a biochemistry course, and my PI is an associate professor in the molecular biology department at my school. I really want to use it since I know it'll definitely be strong, but since it's not technically a lecture based course, I'm not too sure if planning to use it as one of my 4 LORs would be risky...

This is pretty much exactly what I did for 2 of my LORs. At my school, you can get research credit if you enroll in this research seminar. You get a letter grade based on your attendance and spending a certain amount of hours in the lab per week. The instructor was listed as Dr. A but my PI was Dr. B and I also worked with Dr. C. My LORs consisted of a lab professor, Dr. B, and Dr. C. I applied to 17 schools and only 1 emailed me to say that I was missing a letter from a science professor but I replied with my situation (saying that the professor was the one who issued me the grade for my research class) and they accepted the LOR.

Solution: register for a teaching credit. I TA'd and got a letter from a non-professor of mine, but the TA'ing was registered under the professor. 1 credit of extra tuition was worth a good recommendation.

Seems perfectly reasonable, and I have friends who have done exactly this, although I'd still contact specific schools you are worried about.

I agree with the above posters. You'll have to read fine print at each school you apply to, but that qualifies as a science course in the eyes of most people. It's when people do research for a professor without getting a letter grade from them at some point that it may fail to meet the requirements. :)

Solution: register for a teaching credit. I TA'd and got a letter from a non-professor of mine, but the TA'ing was registered under the professor. 1 credit of extra tuition was worth a good recommendation.

Thats how mine is. Mine will be called "supervised college teaching", so I guess I am technically taking a class and he will be giving me a grade..... technically

Thats how mine is. Mine will be called "supervised college teaching", so I guess I am technically taking a class and he will be giving me a grade..... technically

Not technically! That's exactly what it is, and it's what I've done as well as many others. I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Edit: except for contacting schools and double checking :)

Not technically! That's exactly what it is, and it's what I've done as well as many others. I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Edit: except for contacting schools and double checking :)

Since my TA job for ochem would be technically a class, is it therefore not an EC?

Since my TA job for ochem would be technically a class, is it therefore not an EC?

I included it (I had the same position, and it was also registered) when I applied as an EC. It's outside the scope of your regular education, which I would consider "extra-curricular"