LOR from professor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellie0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is my situation. One of my science professors knows me really well, and I'm sure she can write a strong LOR for me. However, when I took her class, there were three exams (out of which he we could drop the lowest score). I took the first two and got something like a 95 and a 98. For the third one, I was not prepared at all and it was a horrible week for me. I didn't have time to study. So I asked the professor if it was okay for me to skip the exam and use that as my drop. She said it was okay and that her only issue is that the final was cumulative, and the material from Exam 3 would show up on the final. I skipped exam 3 and got a 98 on the final. So I had an A in the class.

My question is... is it okay for me to as for a LOR from this professor? I would hate for her for write something like "Mellie is great, except she won't be able to handle the rigor of med school because she skipped an Exam." I was overwhelmed that week, and it was an accelerated course where we had an exam every two weeks (the term was only 7 weeks long).

I could get a LOR from another science professor whose tests I didn't skip (because I don't go around doing that, REALLY), but who knows me a lot less :( (but also doesn't have anything "bad" to say about me)

What do you guys recommend I do? Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Go for the LOR. Professor knows you well and you've excelled in the class. Nothing to worry about.

Get the letter from this prof. I think you're making the situation to be more serious than it is lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the way the professor structured the class, you just look like a student who used the system to their advantage. On the three tests you needed to take, you aced it. Congrats and get that LOR.

Thanks guys!! Should I mention that to her when I request the letter? Like, I know this happened, but please don't let that define me, look at the other wonderful things I've done, etc.... or, should I NOT mention it at all, and just ask for a strong letter of recommendation and hope she only writes good things about me?

Yeah just ask, "Do you think you could write me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school?" And maybe give them a packet with your resume and experiences, and you should be good to go. No need to mention your "slip up that isn't even a slip up"