LOR from Psychologist-not Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abram Hoffer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a former supervisor--not medical school related--who is a psychologist. My work was a licensed counselor, and he wrote an LOR for me for my med school application. He knows me very well, has known me for many years, and he provided his highest recommendation. He is fairly well connected in a city where I plan to apply and would be happy doing my residency. I am wondering if this sort of LOR could or should be part of the 3-4 LOR's I submit to Psychiatry Residency programs. I have not asked him yet, but I am certain he would quickly write a solid letter for me. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

The only problem I might see would be the length of time its been since you've formally worked with this person. But every other aspect of the situation sounds ideal for a letter of recommendation, and the pros seem to outweigh the cons by orders of magnitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know from the other side (Going for a clinical psych placement, and getting a letter from a psychiatrist), they can speak to general areas of strength and your general demeanor/character, but they won't be able to speak to the nuances and particulars that you learn/need as a professional in that area.

I wouldn't include a letter from a psychologist for a residency app. Maybe as a backup or 4th letter. But not the essential major 2-3.

Exactly what Anasazi said. I would not use it as one of the first primary 3 letters. If a program requires 4 letters then I would not use it as one of the 4 letters.

Besides the regular point made that a psychologist at the end of the day is a psychologist and not a physician and therefore unable to assess your readiness as a physician, there is also the ego part amongst your reviewers. So make sure your primary letters are physicians of which at least 1 must be a psychiatrist.