LOR from shady professor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonsovermyhamy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
no worries...ACCEPTED

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:eek: Did the professor promise to write you a good LOR? I honestly don't have any advice, since I can't see any solutions at the moment.

Adcoms are not going to do a background check on each letterwriter. And even if they somehow learned about situation, I don't think it reflects poorly on you.

My main concern would be what he wrote. It is still very unlikely he slandered you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your pre-med adviser for sure. I'm not sure about waived rights, but I do believe pre-med advisers can see your letters if you ask them to?

A very important and generally respected professor I had was excited I had asked him to write me a letter of rec. During our conversation he began to make implicitly racist comments, I told him to keep his letter.

i think schools have better things to do than to explore the moral character of your letter writers. just feel lucky that you have a letter and stop being so neurotic.

thats a horrible situation. i would say that you should allow the letter to go, but if u can stop it somehow, stop it. find a better alternative than this guy.

if it comes up in interviews (if u cant stop the letter) then just craft a meaningful response to the situation, like what u would have done blah blah blah

Should I worry that one of my LORs is coming from a professor who is currently under investigation by the university for slander and discrimination? I had no clue he was this kind of person.

You're better off asking someone else because 1) his reputation is ruined and 2) he probably doesn't want to write any LOR's while he's fighting to repair his reputation and his career.

As long as you were unaware of the problems at the time you asked for the letter, and, if need be, can convincingly convey that point during an interview, I really don't see any need to be concerned.