LoR guidelines - discussion with a Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) When meeting with a professor to discuss them writing a letter for you, is it acceptable to screen share the AAMC guidelines and highlight areas that they could potentially write about? If I believe they could discuss 3 or 4 different points from these guidelines given my interactions with them and with classmates in office hours, would that make a sufficient letter? Or is it entirely up to them what it is they want to write?

2) I would like to discuss diversity in medicine heavily in my application. As lack of representation has been a challenge for me - half black with brown skin- I am eager to discuss ways to bring more black/brown skinned individuals into science and medicine. I will include that I am focused on this as a point in my notes to them. How might the professor incorporate my drive for greater diversity into their letter? Would a short discussion with me during this meeting be enough for them to write about this? I see there is a point in the guidelines about contributions to diversity and about obstacles overcome but am unsure how they would manage to write about this from their perspective.

3) The guidelines say to only discuss grades, GPA or MCAT if they provide context to help interpret them. I had a poor academic past, and was very on/off about school for years while working as a personal trainer and as a server...I've done much better academically since deciding officially to pursue medicine (3 years ago). I'm tempted to ask that they not focus on my grades and focus only on their experience with me. However, would it be helpful for them to mention my poor past grades and make the case that I am not that same student? Or would them reviewing my transcript risk them losing some of the respect they might have had for me?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I tell all applicant when requesting a letter to send the AAMC guidelines with it. Additionally, in your request I recommend that you outline the points that you think your interaction with the letter writer can expand on. Many letter writers ask the applicant to write the letter or at least a draft for them which is perfectly fine.

2) The letter writer should discuss what they know about you. If the LOR writer is comfortable there is nothing wrong with saying "Little Johnny has discussed his desire for XXX many times and that seems to be a driving force in his desire for medicine." However they should focus on what they actually know about you, their relationship with you and similar context

3) I would not suggest having the professor discuss grades or story unless they have a direct connection to it or you know them in an academic advising capacity
For #3 would it not be wise to have a letter writer speak about an upward trajectory if you were a poor student, but turned things around?

Although, I am sure that adcoms will take notice of this during reviewing the application anyway -- so stupid question?