LOR has expiration date ? thanks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thanks_sdn_2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm planning to apply in June 2004. But one of my favorite prof. may leave for another job by the end of this year.

Would someone please give me some info. regarding of lor.

1) can LOR expires (Is there a time limit on lor ? )
example..
If i ask him for LOR this december 03... Can I use this LOR to submit in June 2004, that would make that lor half-year old !

thanks again.

John.
:eek:

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Actually you must have each LOR overnight mailed to the school you are applying too. SO let's say you want to Apply to school XYZ on October 11th. That means your LOR must be dated October 10th with a notary signature and overnight mailed to XYZ.

So you better keep in close contact with the LOR writer, otherwise dont' plan on using him/her.

I think many schools will accept LOR's that are up to 2 years old.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have added, you should see if your school has a letter service. That way they can hold on to your letter and others when you get them, and they'll send them to your schools for free or a small fee. Most big schools have this service.
Good luck!

I have a mixture of old and new LORs. I have two from April 2001 and the rest from this year. I have had a number of interviews so far and the oldness or newness has never come up.

Just make sure you have a way to store that letter with a guarentee that you never saw it and waived your rights to see it. Do you have a pre-med advisor that can hold it for you till next year's application season?

Amy B.

excellent...............i got it.........
I will ask my prof. to write a lor for me and then ask my premed adviser to keep until June 04 "hopefully she doesn't mind".

thanks everyone for replies.

p.s.
Amy B... from all your posts regarding your applicant DO and MD.
I can tell that you will be a EXECELLENT DOC and you have a lot of compassion to help people... good luck to you and your fam.

John

Originally posted by velouria
I think many schools will accept LOR's that are up to 2 years old.

most schools do not have an expiration date for LORs, although many expect you to have current ones. i have been out of college 5 years and most of my LORs are 6-7 years old. i contacted the schools I had applied to and they had no problems with it, and have received interviews at several schools so far.

I have letters that are from this year and letters that date back to 97. I've kept letters on file with my old school for the express purpose of being able to still use them. My thought is that these older letters could offer information about where I was at then and the newer ones can account for me today. I believe that it will give them a larger impression of who I am. I'm not worried about dates, because they are applicable. Also, I don't know how closely they are scrutinizing every little date, modifier, indefinite article in essays, letters, etc.. I think they are reading them for an overall impression.

if your school wont hold them after you graduate, are their other places you could send your letter to in the mean time, to keep it confidential?