LOR help please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if these three LORs would be enough? and also if the my current employer can count as a science prof. if necessary because he is the program director of my emt class and a prof at the med school.

1 from science prof. (physics)
1 from non-science prof (education classes, major field, nonscience research))
1 from my employer, (I teach Paramedics) who is a med school professor and oversaw my EMT class

I'm also curious what schools would have this spead acceptable if this is not universally enough?
thanks alot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most med schools require 3 science professor LORs. Your employer wouldn't qualify unless he teaches a science class you're taking.

That said, if you're an older non-trad, you can occassionally get waivers if you've taken your prereqs years ago. You need to contact each med school directly for that.

Best of luck...

notdeadyet said:
Most med schools require 3 science professor LORs. Your employer wouldn't qualify unless he teaches a science class you're taking.

That said, if you're an older non-trad, you can occassionally get waivers if you've taken your prereqs years ago. You need to contact each med school directly for that.

Best of luck...

3 science prof LORs? Isn't it 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
ADeadLois said:
3 science prof LORs? Isn't it 2?

yea.. don't most schools require 2 sci LORs...
im guessing it's a typo

heeseop said:
yea.. don't most schools require 2 sci LORs...
im guessing it's a typo

I think so too. Jefferson's the only school I can think of that requires 3 science LORs. Some of the Ivys (Harvard, Yale) requires letters from research, so that technically is 3+ science LORS also.

Take it from someone who just went through this whole process....

You absolutely MUST have....
2 Science professors (1 can be research, as long as they teach science at the school)
1 non-science

It is recommended that you have an addition letter or two from someone who knows you through volunteer work, employment, etc. They ask for these so they can gain some insight into you character and day to day interactions. Most schools will not take less than 3 or more than 5. Hope this helps

I was told by my pre-med advisor when applying to have 1 clinical letter, 1 research letter, at least 2 science letters and for us older students, 1 letter from every program/job we had. Basically, this was to show we were not serial killers. I ended up with 13 letters as a result and did not have a problem with any of the letters being too many at schools plus it was very helpful for the pre-med committee letter.

I think the EMT letter is great for your clinical work. Unless you were a non-science major and can get a great letter of recommendation from there, you don't need non-science. You do need more science letters though.

ANy research?