LOR: How many is too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fellowcornello

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we all know that for most schools, we need letters from 2 science and 1 non science prof. But, say I wanted to add a few more from a few doctors who I shadowed...whats the maximum amount of letters I should send? I was hoping for 3 prof letters and 3 letters from physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so we all know that for most schools, we need letters from 2 science and 1 non science prof. But, say I wanted to add a few more from a few doctors who I shadowed...whats the maximum amount of letters I should send? I was hoping for 3 prof letters and 3 letters from physicians.

I wouldn't do more than 6. I got by with 6 (4 research, 1 humanities, 1 clinical/volunteer). Most schools want to see letters from all your research advisors.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do more than 6. I got by with 6 (4 research, 1 humanities, 1 clinical/volunteer). Most schools want to see letters from all your research advisors.

:luck:
thanks. you said you had 4 research letters ..where they also your science profs?

all your research advisors

That's at least five in my case just to meet that "requirement". :laugh:

I got a bunch (2 basic science, 1 non-science, 1 volunteer, 2 medical mission, 1 research), but sent on average 5.

I never understood why people switch labs so often. I've been in the same lab for the past 3 years and love it there....Is this a bad idea?

I never switched. I had one undergrad advisor, one grad advisor, and two undergrad summer research programs.

It seems like much, but it hasn't turned out to be a problem. Definitely good to have letters outside of science, though.

have as many as you feel necessary. Each one should be able to say something different or substantial about you, otherwise it isn't helping and is perhaps hurting. I had a large number of letters and also wrestled with the same question as you, but I think it ended up working out as I knew these individuals in different capacities and contexts (but all of them very well).

I had six, and I think they all added a different element to the application. I would say that six or seven is about the most you should send, as it's highly unlikely the others add anything substantial and/or the committee at each school won't read them that in depth after awhile (you'll be past the hump by that point) and/or you might misjudge someone's evaluation of you.

If it's possible, as well, it sometimes helps to have someone from a different discipline. I had someone from a humanities class that had nothing to do with science or health write a letter of recommendation simply because I've taken quite a few humanities courses and wanted to make sure that the committee realized I was taking those courses very seriously and making contributions to the classroom environment.

I never understood why people switch labs so often. I've been in the same lab for the past 3 years and love it there....Is this a bad idea?
I've only changed when the project ended. I don't work doing the typical piddly bull**** lab assistant sort of research most premeds do.

1 year- Public health research on lightning fatalities in Florida
1 year (ongoing)- Cardiac arrest outcomes research
6 months (ongoing)- Aviation safety research (I am the PI on this one, although I have a doc who serves as an adviser basically just so the IRB will give me approval....haven't talked to him in a couple of months now)

I am about to start a full time job at a school as a research associate where I will basically get assigned to various teams as they need me. This is the beauty of actually having usable skills so I'm not limited to making gels and washing glassware in hopes of getting a publication.