1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LOR issues

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by captbadass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. captbadass

captbadass Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I noticed most schools require at least two letters from science faculty and one from non science. I already have one science and the one non science taken care of, but I dont know what to do about the last one. I'm an Econ major at UF, so all my science classes were large ( often more than 200). I did well in all of them, although I never had to spend much time in office hours because I generally understood all the material on my own and Im not the brown noser type. Were any of yall in a stimilar situation? What did you do? I know my other letters from outside activities will be solid. Thanks for any help!

CAPT

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Another science LOR can come from someone you do undergrad research with, who can assess your ability in understanding a scientific concept and applying it, provided you have done undergrad research. Other suggestions?

4. ALL my science classes were huge (300+, sometimes 500-600). I just asked the profs anyway. :)

5. bigbassinbob

bigbassinbob Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah most of my individual recommendations were from larger science classes where you don't really get to know the profs. But it doesn't really matter, because if you go talk to them you'll find out they write recs all the time for people they've never even met. They'll probably just want to talk to you a few times to get to know you, and interview you about why you want to be a doc and so forth. It's really very routine for them.

6. Yeah, exactly. My science profs sat down with me for around 30-45 minutes, and we talked about med school, etc.

7. PhillyEaglesFan

PhillyEaglesFan Little Yellow Schoolbus
    7+ Year Member

i agree.
    :thumbup: of course, ideally, you want to get them from someone who knows you well, but that's not always possible. there's only so many TA/lab positions open.

8. captbadass

captbadass Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks guys! i figured i just needed to suck it up. im gonna get on that shiznat asap. i just felt a little uneasy about asking somebody that doesnt really know me for a letter, but who the heck else am i going to ask since i have no other science teachers besides those from the large intro classes i had. F it, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. this should just be a minor step along the way to success. i have to stop being a p*ss*. thanks everyone.

CAPT

9. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I know how you feel. I was in the same predicament because all my science classes were in big classes. Fortunately, the people who I asked were really nice about it.

What you should do is go to their office hours with a copy of your resume, personal statement, transcripts and maybe even a copy of your MCAT score. They may talk to you for awhile to get to know you a bit. If you give them all this stuff, they will have a little more to go off of when writing the LOR.

I did this for my 2 science LORs and things turned out ok. Don't worry because this happens a lot and professors realize that people who go to med school will ask them for LORs. Good luck. :)