LOR length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chngsr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys-
My research professor asked me to write a rough draft for my letter of recommendation. I haven't seen any of my other LOR so i'm not sure about how long it should be and what type of spacing is commonly used. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to write part of your own letter?

Turkeyman said:
You have to write part of your own letter?

I have heard of this often.

Anyway, look at other letters. I think they are normally about 3-4 paragraphs long: Intro, Examples of why you are amazing, Conclusion. example:

June 27, 2005

Dear Admissions Committee:

I am pleased to write a letter in support of _________’s application to your medical school. I have known and worked closely with ____ for ____years and feel very strongly that she will become an outstanding physician.

______'s academic record speaks for itself. She graduated with honors and many achievements including ___________________. Shortly thereafter she began work in our division of ______ at _____________. Her role with us began as _______, and due to her interest and potential became _________. (then fill in details of accomplishments in these roles)

In addition to these academic and professional achievements, ___________________________(other hobies & achievements).

_________ is really great. I am pleased to offer my strongest recommendation for ________. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like more information about this remarkable candidate.

Sincerely,

_______, M.D.
Professor
Department of _________
University of ________