LOR Length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgatt2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is considered too long or too short of an LOR?

Is 1.5 - 2 pages DOUBLE-SPACED, long enough (assume good quality)?

I know it's quality over quantity, but I was just wondering how long people's LORs were on avg from a prof they took at least 1 course wit.

Also please indicate if its 1 page single, or double spaced.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2 pages is way toooooooooooooo long serious, no one will read it. they should be no more then one page in reality. Remember that adcoms are reading thousands upon thousands of these LORs and they all say the same crap basically. Short and to the point while pointing out your good qualities are best.

Serious? 1 page doublespaced = 1/2 page singlespaced is enough?!

Members don't see this ad :)
One page is the gold standard; two will work too. It's the writer's discretion. You're not writing it, so people won't assume you have much control over the length.

That being said, if the writer hands you a Tolstoy novel, you might ask them to pare it down a bit. But in many cases you won't see the letter, so you may never know. Ignorance is bliss.

From what I've seen, one page @ 1.5 spacing for year-long clinical job. For a three-year bench research LOR, it was 1.5 pages @ single spacing.

For fellowship apps, almost all were one page @ 1.5 spacing and a few were 1.5 pages @ 1.5 spacing.

The non-trad professors on here might be able to give you a better answer.

My question for you, though, OP: why?