LOR- letter of recomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been shadowing/ assisting a dentist since January and he has agreed to write me a letter f recommendation. However, he wants me to write it and then he will review and edit it. Does anyone have any insight what to write about or have any sample LOR's?
-JDENT

Members don't see this ad.

What a bad dentist...Whatever you do, do not make yourself sound high and mighty. Some of professors I know will change what you wrote and make you look bad, defeating the purpose of the letter. If time isn't a factor, I think you should spend more time with your dentist, so they can get to know you better. Telling you to write it is just BS to me...Seems like they want you out of their hair.

What a bad dentist...Whatever you do, do not make yourself sound high and mighty. Some of professors I know will change what you wrote and make you look bad, defeating the purpose of the letter. If time isn't a factor, I think you should spend more time with your dentist, so they can get to know you better. Telling you to write it is just BS to me...Seems like they want you out of their hair.

Actually, this happens all the time and it isn't BS nor does it make a dentist "bad". A LOR will have little, if any, significant affect on your application - unless it is negative. So, just write something positive and not over-the-top and you'll be fine.

I read several articles on this, and infact, it is reported that this isn't uncommon.