LOR letterhead dilemma, please advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very strong LOR from a clinical volunteer supervisor, but that letter is not on letterhead (the individual has left the position and no longer has access to the official letterhead).

Should I still submit this letter?

Also, what if all my required LORs have letterhead/signature, but this particular letter doesn't? Will the school hold up my application because of that?

Members don't see this ad.

To be more specific, if I send in this optional LOR without letterhead, and medical schools want it re-send in order to complete my application, can I just tell them that the letter writer cannot get a letterhead and therefore the school can just trash the letter, since it is optional to begin with?

To be more specific, if I send in this optional LOR without letterhead, and medical schools want it re-send in order to complete my application, can I just tell them that the letter writer cannot get a letterhead and therefore the school can just trash the letter, since it is optional to begin with?

Does your letter writer work for a different institution now with letterhead available?

Members don't see this ad :)
The letterhead issue is very school-specific. Some of them have the unwavering requirement that all letters have to be on official letterhead. It's best to ask the schools where you're planning to use this letter and explain to them the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very strong LOR from a clinical volunteer supervisor, but that letter is not on letterhead (the individual has left the position and no longer has access to the official letterhead).

Should I still submit this letter?

Also, what if all my required LORs have letterhead/signature, but this particular letter doesn't? Will the school hold up my application because of that?

Is it one of the required letters?

If it is not one of the required letters, I don't think you application would be held up (they may choose not to look at the letter in the worst case scenario). However, as the previous poster stated it will be school specific. You may need to contact the schools you are applying to.

Is it one of the required letters?

If it is not one of the required letters, I don't think you application would be held up (they may choose not to look at the letter in the worst case scenario). However, as the previous poster stated it will be school specific. You may need to contact the schools you are applying to.

It isn't a required letter!