LOR mess up... so mad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legrev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone please ease my anxiety about my current situation...
I just picked up my LOR from an OTR and of course I was antsy and held it up to the light because I wanted to be able to read it... All I got were a few sentences.. THe first paragraph starts out with my full name and saying how many hours i've completed etc etc. I skip down to the second paragraph and I see another volunteer's name! it said something like "Amber (this is NOT my name) has always been a great help" and it goes on and on. that's all I saw. I didn't see how many times she mentioned another voluntee'rs name, and I didn't see how many times she mentioned my name. The only thing I caught was that she said my name at the beginning at least.

DO you think the programs I'm applying to will frown upon that a lot? I'm having hope that they understand that people that write these LORs have to use templates since they write it for a lot of people so I'm hoping the admissions committee understands it and doesn't really mind too much. However, the other side of me is saying, well what if the admissions committee thing that "well if the OT only used a template for this girl, she must not mean all of the things she's saying in the letter about her"

Ahh, I'm freaking out. They can't penalize me for a mistake my OT made right?

Please help me feel better...

Members don't see this ad.

How many LOR did you get from that OT? I asked my OT for 15 so I have enough if I want to apply to other schools. I'd ask her/him for another letter if I were you so 1- you can read it and see if it's worth submitting. Tell your OT you'd like to read what she wrote I don't think that should be a problem. And 2- you have more than 1 letter I'd applying to many programs.

You are right, many use templates and they are happy to write letters for students they see potential in. I would be honest with him/her... Well in the sense that the envelope is a bit see through and you think someone's name is on it other than yours. They do not want to make that mistake at all for you and I do think they'd appreciate the fact that you caught it. It does happy, but I do think the admissions committee might wonder if the OT really "knew" you well enough.
It's okay to say "I'm so sorry ______, the envelope was sitting in the light and I believe someone I caught another name on it. I hate to ask you to check this but I did not want to open the letter myself since I signed off that I wouldn't. I sincerely appreciate you taking a 2nd look, I just want to make sure their are no issues since I have heard the admissions committees are very detailed since schools are so competitive now"... Or something like that.
But yes, I would get it fixed. You have worked too hard to get this point to worry about a minor error like this. Think of it this way... as a future OT you would want your fellow colleague to point out an error on your notes... aka: wrong patient info... whatever. It will help you!
And if this OT responds poorly.. which they likely will not. Take a deep breath, its likely they are just embarrassed.
If you feel uneasy about how they wrote the letter since you "sort of" saw it... Tell your OT that you checked with the school about the things they would like to hear.. Maybe put it on paper so they can follow it when re-writing. Like everyone, no matter how much you respect a student that shadowed with you, you may feel blank when writing the letter.

It will work out! Hang in there. Glad you caught it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the OT that I used to volunteered for 2 months wrote me a horrible LoR. The envelopes looked so professional with the icon and the name of the facility that I volunteered at, but He told them that I am '' immature and need to grow up more and repeated words'' OT is a career, not a job!!!'' ", even though I honestly helped him sooo much when I was there. There were only 2 of us and 10+ clients in the Rehab gym. I mostly did all the work, the OT was there, he did his job then he went outside and kept talking on the phone. I asked for 7 LoR, but he gave me 5 so that I cannot open to read it. However, there were 2 letters that have the same name of the schools, so I just happen to open it and see what he ( The devil) wrote about me.

One of the OT that I used to volunteered for 2 months wrote me a horrible LoR. The envelopes looked so professional with the icon and the name of the facility that I volunteered at, but He told them that I am '' immature and need to grow up more and repeated words'' OT is a career, not a job!!!'' ", even though I honestly helped him sooo much when I was there. There were only 2 of us and 10+ clients in the Rehab gym. I mostly did all the work, the OT was there, he did his job then he went outside and kept talking on the phone. I asked for 7 LoR, but he gave me 5 so that I cannot open to read it. However, there were 2 letters that have the same name of the schools, so I just happen to open it and see what he ( The devil) wrote about me.

That definitely sucks! But good call on asking for more letters so you can see what he said but isn't he submitting a review on OTCAS?

Yes, Lucky that I did not submitted my app on OTCAS. After I saw his horrible LoR, I log in and delete his email so the OTCAS won't put his letter in as one of my reference.
Thank to him that I have to ask my friend, Activity Director of the nursing home where I volunteered at for LoR. and We sit down for 1hr to write my LoR on OTCAS by his cell phone.

Remember: Always check your LOR before you send it out !!!!!

This is a nightmare situation! Oh my word I feel bad for you. For other people asking for LORs: When you ask for a LOR, you can say "Would you be able to write me a positive letter of recommendation?" No one wants to write a negative one but they might have to if you don't ask them first.