LOR on Interfolio isn't on letterhead and does not include a signature....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should bother even contacting the professor about this as I'm not sure that hers would be the best letter to send out anyway. She had offered to write me a letter of recommendation on the last day of class, going on about why I was such a great student, and I decided I should take whatever I could get - can't turn that offer down. I did not, however, feel that she knew me well enough (3 months) and I would not have requested one from her. She waited to upload on the very last day and I have the opinion it was rushed last minute. When I asked if I had given her enough time, she responded that yes, if the time period were any longer she would have just put it off longer. I gave her one month because she had commented early on that she wanted to get it done while she had everything fresh in her mind. I worried that she would forget me if she had any longer and I don't feel that that's the best person to write a letter for me...

To add, this was a community college professor teaching the first quarter of biology. She does not have a PhD (has M.S.). I would prefer to send in University professor LORs...I'm just not sure how easy it will be to get to know them (once I transfer - hopefully to a UC college).

Also, it appears that the letter is just one page long...I'm worried it might be too short.

I feel like an annoyance asking for something else...Is it even worth it? Should I just use this LOR for other purposes such as volunteering, research and etc? Is there something I can show her to help her with the process? I do see some information on their help page... I just wouldn't want this to be a headache for her.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I should bother even contacting the professor about this as I'm not sure that hers would be the best letter to send out anyway. She had offered to write me a letter of recommendation on the last day of class, going on about why I was such a great student, and I decided I should take whatever I could get - can't turn that offer down. I did not, however, feel that she knew me well enough (3 months) and I would not have requested one from her. She waited to upload on the very last day and I have the opinion it was rushed last minute. When I asked if I had given her enough time, she responded that yes, if the time period were any longer she would have just put it off longer. I gave her one month because she had commented early on that she wanted to get it done while she had everything fresh in her mind. I worried that she would forget me if she had any longer and I don't feel that that's the best person to write a letter for me...

To add, this was a community college professor teaching the first quarter of biology. She does not have a PhD (has M.S.). I would prefer to send in University professor LORs...I'm just not sure how easy it will be to get to know them (once I transfer - hopefully to a UC college).

Also, it appears that the letter is just one page long...I'm worried it might be too short.

I feel like an annoyance asking for something else...Is it even worth it? Should I just use this LOR for other purposes such as volunteering, research and etc? Is there something I can show her to help her with the process? I do see some information on their help page... I just wouldn't want this to be a headache for her.
Just wait until you move to the 4 year rather than the CC. You could simply email her asking for a signature and letterhead. If you don’t even want the letter though, get better letters.

Did interfolio let you know it did not have those things based on their quality check?

Reactions: 1 user
How many years out of applying are you? If you're switching from a CC to a 4-year university, I would imagine you're a sophomore? Having old letters isn't ideal and some med schools have "expiration dates" so to speak on LOR. Typically if a professor OFFERS to write you a letter, either they really liked you (probable) or they really didn't like you (unlikely). I would guess if you got a good grade, and showed up and participated, this is probably a good letter but maybe not worth your time if you have some years before you apply still.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many years out of applying are you? If you're switching from a CC to a 4-year university, I would imagine you're a sophomore? Having old letters isn't ideal and some med schools have "expiration dates" so to speak on LOR. Typically if a professor OFFERS to write you a letter, either they really liked you (probable) or they really didn't like you (unlikely). I would guess if you got a good grade, and showed up and participated, this is probably a good letter but maybe not worth your time if you have some years before you apply still.

Yes, I am about a sophomore - I'll have two years after transferring in the fall. Thank you.

they really didn't like you (unlikely).

Offering to write an LOR to a student you didn't like just in order to ruin their career? That would be unethical on so many levels!!

OP, I suggest you get to know your professors at university. Try to take multiple classes with the same professor and try to do research with them too! I HIGHLY suggest going to office hours, especially when there isn't any exam happening. Even at the largest universities, students often miss out on office hours. I went to a very large (20,000+) university and I had professors cancel office hours simply because students wouldn't show up!!! So you'll be able to get enough of the professor's attention over a long period of time in order to create a lasting impression.

Offering to write an LOR to a student you didn't like just in order to ruin their career? That would be unethical on so many levels!!

OP, I suggest you get to know your professors at university. Try to take multiple classes with the same professor and try to do research with them too! I HIGHLY suggest going to office hours, especially when there isn't any exam happening. Even at the largest universities, students often miss out on office hours. I went to a very large (20,000+) university and I had professors cancel office hours simply because students wouldn't show up!!! So you'll be able to get enough of the professor's attention over a long period of time in order to create a lasting impression.

From what I hear, as an undergraduate at a University of California, you spend the majority of time with TAs and graduate students...especially if it's a big research university. I do intend on communicating frequently with my professors, as I've been doing here, but I know nothing is a guarantee.

From what I hear, as an undergraduate at a University of California, you spend the majority of time with TAs and graduate students...especially if it's a big research university. I do intend on communicating frequently with my professors, as I've been doing here, but I know nothing is a guarantee.

That's because each course usually has a "discussion" section where a TA typically leads a small subsection of the class (about 30-40 students) and teaches them the material on a more in-depth level. But on top of that, the main professors almost always hold their own office hours.

I couldn't agree with you more. I note in my OP that this isn't likely and it certainly doesn't seem like the case here but it could happen. Only OP knows how s/he performed in this class and the relationship they formed. I believe this letter is probably quite good but regardless, as a sophomore, I wouldn't worry about asking the writer to re-do the letter on official letterhead with a signature (which will be required by Interfolio). It will be 2+ years old by the time they apply.

That's because each course usually has a "discussion" section where a TA typically leads a small subsection of the class (about 30-40 students) and teaches them the material on a more in-depth level. But on top of that, the main professors almost always hold their own office hours.
30-40 students is “a small subsection” of the students?! I am glad I go to Podunk, because 30-40 IS the class...

I couldn't agree with you more. I note in my OP that this isn't likely and it certainly doesn't seem like the case here but it could happen. Only OP knows how s/he performed in this class and the relationship they formed. I believe this letter is probably quite good but regardless, as a sophomore, I wouldn't worry about asking the writer to re-do the letter on official letterhead with a signature (which will be required by Interfolio). It will be 2+ years old by the time they apply.

I did well in the class, answered questions and asked a lot of my own questions just for the sake of interest in the subject. She said that she didn't often come across students with my level of interest in the subject. She was a sweet lady. I doubt it was written so as to screw me over. I wouldn't describe the relationship as a close one though. Someone did say that I could have her update the date later on.... Not sure if that's acceptable.

Wait until the semester before you apply to ask your letter writer to make the required changes. By waiting you’ll know if you still want to use that letter. If not then move on. If you do want to use the letter, you could ask the instructor to sign, resubmit on school letterhead, and ask if she could also change the date of the letter so that you don’t have a letter dated from over 2 years ago. Those who reapply often do this (ask for date change on letters they used in the previous cycle) because schools want recent LOR’s.

When you ask for the fixes and date change, make sure to provide her with a brief reminder of who you are and an electronic copy of the original letter she wrote.

Reactions: 1 users

I would treat this as worthless.

If you spend substantial amount of time and credits at CC, then you absolutely may want a CC letter, even if it's old

most schools I applied wanted to see a CC letter and I made sure most had one

someone that pushes an LOR on you, that is just the sort of letter that you want

one page letters are perfectly acceptable, maybe even desirable, it depends, longer letters may look better to committees unless it's generic fluff, however practically speaking I've been told rule of thumb is that essentially no one reads past the first page on anyway, so long as the one page tells them what they want to know and glows, that is completely fine

also it depends on where you apply how much it will matter if the person was PhD or whatever

many schools are aware that CC instructors are typically only professional educators, many at universities are there for research, spend little time with students, and may not have a good basis for determining how good a learner a student is beyond grades in their class

I asked for I believe 12 letters split between my substantial time at CC and at uni, I was at uni for 4 years I think (so my CC letters were old, more worrisome than older letters by date is if the writers don't remember you), and also with employers, and ended up with 6 letters total, which were strong per my interviewers. Of those, I think I only used 3 or 4, but in different combinations depending on what application packages I was tailoring to the requirements of different schools

it is always better to have more letters than to scramble with too few or use ones you suspect are weak

also not everyone you approach for a letter comes through, hence why I approached so many people

the most important thing about a letter is how highly you are being recommended, content, and then the credentials of who is writing about you and how long ago. If it was years since you did research, worked somewhere, or went to uni, the military, etc, that is fine because they want to see how you did with those things even if they aren't recent, as long as you ALSO have more recent quality letters from uni

LORs are about a broad package and presenting a breadth of recommendation of you on different fronts (science, non-science, CC, uni, work, volunteer, etc)

lastly, somewhere in my post history I discuss how to put together an LOR request package that will help your writers to write you a good letter

this is good for my last point, which is that it is VERY common for LOR writers to whip these out last minute. Honestly, depending on where/what they teach, they may be responsible for quite a number of them, so many of them are quite practiced at it and have templates. So a last minute letter isn't always weak. This is where a package can help their speed and make it glow.

I would be more worried about a hurried letter if you think this person has little experience writing LORs.

Part of my package included LOR writer guidelines. I put it this way when I was showing the package to them, "I wasn't sure how familiar you are with writing letters for admission to medical school, so I included this document on the sort of things med schools like to know and have comments on. It's just a guideline and I hope it helps. Thank you so much."

I never had anyone upset by this, and many with experience writing these said as much, but still thanked me and found it useful. This is not only a way to help them write you a better letter, it helps you gauge perhaps their experience. All around, it can help if they don't have experience or whip this out last minute. Even those with experience sometimes whip these out last minute as I said, and may help.