LOR Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BK2681

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback about a situation that happened to me today concerning one of my LORs. Today was the due date that I gave one of my letters writers to submit a LOR. I asked him 2 months ago (I also provided him with detailed instructions) so I was excited when I saw an email from him today with the subject "Letter of Recommendation Submission". My pre-med advisor has us give letter writers her email address so that they can email her a copy of the letter, which she then uploads to Virtual Evals. When I opened the email from my letter writer today informing me that he had submitted my letter of recommendation to my pre-med advisor, however, as I scrolled down, I saw that he had forwarded me the email he sent my pre-med advisor, which had the LOR attached in a MS Word document. Note that I signed a waiver of confidentiality that will be uploaded with my LORs.

I opened the email on my iPhone and when I saw the forwarded email with the MS Word document attached, I immediately deleted the email (both from the inbox and trash). Since I opened the email on an iPhone, the document was not downloaded and not opened because I did not tap on it. I can honestly say, in regards to the waiver of confidentiality that I signed, that I did not open the attachment nor see any aspect of my LOR. My question is, is this something I need to make known to my pre-med advisor? I feel like somehow this could come back to bite me. Am I correct in thinking that I would be acting ethically by not informing my pre-med advisor and considering the letter still as confidential because I did not open nor read any part of the letter? I do not want to lose this letter of recommendation, but I also do not want to be accused of acting unethical.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you'll be fine. a lot of people would have made a different decision if they were in your shoes.

A lot of people draft their own LoR for PIs and still sign that waiver.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, seriously? The neuroticism here has reached a new level.

You're fine. Some of my teachers feel it's actually unethical to make us waive our right to see recommendation letters, since we literally cannot change anything about the letter and we have the right to know what's in our own application. Now whether you agree with that or not is a different story, but from my understanding, the waiver is more to protect the writer and the effect his/her words have on your professional and personal relationship. If the writer sent you the letter by choice, that's on them. Your premed advisor probably won't even notice, and if they do, I reeeeeally wouldn't worry about it. Between making up ECs and hiding institutional actions, applicants who might have read an email sent to them that contained their LOR aren't likely to be high on the adcoms' list of crooks to catch.

Reactions: 1 users
Federal law gives you the RIGHT to see any part of your academic record. You are asked to waive the right to read LORs written on your behalf. That said, while you have waived your right, that doesn't preclude the writer from giving you access if they choose to do so.

You have nothing to worry about. Relax and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for everyone's input!

Agreed, you should have no problems! Honesty in general, is the best policy.