LOR problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Su4n2, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member

hi, i was a Russian Lit major in college, v.small dept. had one prof for ALL my classes. got all A's. he's a nice guy, but v.absent minded. when i asked for a LOR, i told him that med.schools place lots of emphasis on them. he said i should write down a list of qualities i have that med schools would want and he would incorporate them in my LOR. i have no idea what to write. i would really like and appreciate some help on this one. thanx. susan

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tweetie_bird

hmmm,
    well I don't want to do all your work for you, but think about the following few questions--

What makes a good doctor?
    Compassion, tenacity, ability to relate to people; sense of diferent cultures and respect for that.

What is it about your classes that will ADD to your qualifications that will make you a good doc?
    well-roundedness; ability to relate to different cultures; creative side;

How did you do in your classes?
    Obviously you got A's in a hard language, so perhaps he can comment on your ability to work hard. Abilty to balance both, a linguistic/cultural side to your application PLUS the sciences.

he can speak of a few examples where he noted that you have the qualifications to be a good doc.

He can say something like--Susan knows how to balance a personal and professional life well because....blah blah blah.

Also..ummm....I'll keep thinking. But that's some advice for now. Get workin!

Oh also, let me tell you that EXAMPLES WORK BEST. SHOW, not tell.

4. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member

thanx Tweetie, as always. don't worry, i am also thinking. you gave great advice that made me think of a few other things. i guess having to pick out good qualities about yourself and write them down is kinda hard, especially since i am thinking 24/7 that i bombed the MCAT. thanx