LoR/PS focused on fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWhozits

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This may have been answered elsewhere, but I couldn’t find anything with what I searched.

For IM, how common is it that multiple LoRs come from a specific fellowship?

And how often is that fellowship mentioned in one’s personal statement?

Obviously most IM PDs are aware that many people are interested in fellowships, but is it seen as a negative if someone’s PS focuses on the strengths/reasons for going into X Subspecialty rather than general IM?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's necessarily a minus, and can be a plus if a specific IM program is very strong in your field of interest, as they might be interested in residents that might later stay on to be fellows and junior attendings.

However, I think it can be a minus if the whole IM application is overall too focused on the fellowship. 3 years of general training is honestly a lot of non-whatever-you're-interested-in and if you can't seem to muster an interest in anything else, that might be a warning sign to me about your overall receptiveness of other parts of medicine and getting through residency training.

Also, I think 80% of incoming IM interns (I just BS'ed that number, but it's high) change their mind in residency about what they're ultimately going to do. PDs have seen this over and over and over again, so unless you have an extraordinarily strong reason of why you are going to pursue a certain fellowship, I wouldn't talk about it like it's a set thing.

I don't think it's that bad to have letters from a subspecialty, but you should hopefully at least have one letter from your sub-I which should have been in internal medicine. As for your PS, it's up to you but I would be careful about giving the impression that it's "X specialty or bust". There's nothing wrong with expressing interest but as a resident you'll likely rotate on a bunch of subspecialty services outside your stated fellowship interest and the last thing you want is for people to think you might try/care less when you're not on your specialty of choice

Members don't see this ad :)
It depend on your perspective.

1. more specific about what you want ( ie. the fellowship) will allow the program to judge if they are the program for you and whether they have the resources to get you want you want
2. more specific, program decides they can't give you the resources to reach your goal. why waste your time and theirs even if you are a stellar candidate. No interview offer.

I learned a lot about myself this last few wks reviewing fellowship applicants and I struggled with the above. Had exceptional candidates but their PS and research showed me they are very focus on X and we are not strong in X; lack the time dedicated to X. I decided to not offer them a interview even though I check exceptional in all their credentials.

I got two letters from Pulm/CC faculty in addition to a cards faculty and my chairs letter when I applied for residency. Matched well, got plenty of interviews. It didn’t hurt me and it certainly helped me (ran into couple interviews where the attendings knew the letter writers either personally or by reputation). Agree that you can show interest in particular fields within medicine or show an academic inclination (even if it’s hot air) but try to remain broad in your personal statement and application.

You’ll be fine.

When I applied for residency, I wrote about my fellowship goals (goals after graduating) and research. I did end up having one LOR from that fellowship and I did indicate the researches I was involved in regarding the fellowship. Programs are here to train us to be better physicians and help us achieve our goals.

Also for many of the programs, I applied for had the fellowship I was desiring and I wrote specific Personal statements for them. I did end up with over 20 IVs and ended up canceling a few and matched to my number 2.

Bottom line, write about your goals and have the LOR writer write a strong recommendation letter about your communication, cognitive and interpersonal skills. Along with your bedside manner.

But as the last poster indicated you will be fine.