LOR Question for FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_MD77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply to the residency programs next week (FM Only). My question is on LOR’s. I have 4 LOR’s, I plan on using two current ones from FM doc and Med/Peds Doc. They are less than two months old and strong.

My questions is for the 3rd LOR. I have a strong current (2 months old) LOR from my Psych attending that mentions I would make a good FM doc … The other LOR is from my Peds rotation that is almost two years old … It is strong too but mentions I would make a good IM, Peds, or FM doc … Not specific for FM … Which to use?

Would it acceptable to use a LOR from Psych attending for FM residency or use the 2-year-old Peds LOR …

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they're both strong, I'd use the more recent one that explicitly says FM. Between peds and psych, I don't think it really matters, and since you already have a Med/Peds LOR, I think you'll be fine with the Psych one.

If you can get another FM one though, that might help. So far, I've only stumbled across 1-2 programs that explicitly said they highly recommended 2 LORs from FM docs. Most require 2-3 and 1 must be FM.

Members don't see this ad :)
For programs requiring 3 LOR, is this generally for an interview invite or for ranking? I have 2 LORs right now and I am waiting on the 3rd. Thanks!

For programs requiring 3 LOR, is this generally for an interview invite or for ranking? I have 2 LORs right now and I am waiting on the 3rd. Thanks!

It varies program to program. Some will offer an interview, but expect 3 in by interview time, others need it in by rank time, others won't even review your app without the 3.