shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
Status
How old can a letter of recommendation for med school be before it is considered too old? how old is too old before they want you to send new ones in with your application?

legobikes

bikes made of lego
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
shan1997 said:
How old can a letter of recommendation for med school be before it is considered too old? how old is too old before they want you to send new ones in with your application?
probably 2 years.

nibrocli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
i submitted some 3-year old letters, and had no probs. i also had a couple of current ones though.

About the Ads

rajad10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Medical Student
shan1997 said:
anyone else
i had always heard the recommended age of the letter should be no older than one year. if it is more, have your writer submit an updated letter. But that's just what the LOR service at my school says. I don't know straight from the med school.

Pemberley

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Texas
Status
Medical Student
shan1997 said:
anyone else
Make sure you read the individual school requirements carefully... Baylor specifies that more than one year old are absolutely unacceptable. I haven't seen this anywhere else, yet, but I'm trying to use a 2-year-old one, so I'm being pretty careful.

Svidrillion

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
F-town
Status
I applied last year and nothing doing, so I am re-using three of my letters because they were damn good, but I got a new fourth letter that was current.

I don't think it's gonna hurt. I didn't get updates because I didn't really interact with those other recommenders during the last year, so it seemed pointless to bug them for an update.

OP
S

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
Status
ok thanks. I have some 2 year old ones and my pre med office shreds the letters after 2 years. I i just wondered if schools accepted letters 2 or 3 yrs old but i will have to read schools policies or possibly send some updated ones with the letters

Svidrillion said:
I applied last year and nothing doing, so I am re-using three of my letters because they were damn good, but I got a new fourth letter that was current.

I don't think it's gonna hurt. I didn't get updates because I didn't really interact with those other recommenders during the last year, so it seemed pointless to bug them for an update.

About the Ads