LOR question - i'm pretty sure this isn't a repeat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mk88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 4 LORs - 2 from science profs, one from a non-science prof (which is my major) and one from the office i work in (a doctor's office). So for the schools that only specifically ask for 2 or 3 letters, can I designate all four on AMCAS? I don't know which ones are the better letters, especially between the 2 science ones. / will the schools not like it if I submit extra letters?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have 4 LORs - 2 from science profs, one from a non-science prof (which is my major) and one from the office i work in (a doctor's office). So for the schools that only specifically ask for 2 or 3 letters, can I designate all four on AMCAS? I don't know which ones are the better letters, especially between the 2 science ones. / will the schools not like it if I submit extra letters?
thanks.

If they only ask for 2 or 3, then you should only send 2 or 3...

Check how each school feels about having additional letters. JHU, for example, really wants just the 3+1 letters and no more, whereas most schools welcome additional letters up to a certain amount. Still, don't send in extra letters unless they will actually touch on an aspect of you that the other letters don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks.

Look into your undergrad university and see if they have a LOR service, in which case all letters will be directed towards AMCAS, which will forward the packet of LORs to adcom of the SOM at x, y, and z... In this regard, they will get all of your letters, whether they ask for just 2 or 3. Whether or not they will read all of them is another question.