LOR question: Letter is written by TA and cosigned by Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No2Pencil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I still list the letter as an "Individual Letter" on AMCAS? Also, I currently have the TA as the primary author... Would it be better if I made the professor the primary author? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it's an individual letter

you could list either as the author on amcas, it doesn't matter. i'd list the professor personally, but really, it doesn't matter. it's just an identifier for amcas to use when handling the letter.

I remember when one of my students asked me to write them a letter. I told her to just ask the professor since it would have a lot more weight. I later was able to give the professor input about that particular student. So in a way, as a TA, I influenced her letter. Just get the letter from the prof. and not the TA. A TA can be anyone like a pre-med. A professor definitely has more stature in writing your letter.

Eh...sometimes the prof doesn't know who in the world the student is. This is particularly relevant in some lab classes or seminar classes where the prof just lectures but the TA actually runs the class.

The same thing is with large research labs where the post-doc writes the letter that is signed off by the PI.

As long as a person of authority signs off on it, it's fine. A good letter from a TA co-signed by a prof/PI >>> PI/prof who writes it but knows you much less.