LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalaland123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My prof wrote me a letter and then asked me to look over it.

I know that adcoms looking for hidden insinuations and you cant use tricky language.

she used a couple of phrases which I am thinking of re-phrasing

Also, is it a compliment if she says, "....was one of the better students in my class..." doesn't that have slightly negative connotations?

Also, there's a lot of mention of whats on my CV and i feel not as much about my interpersonal skills. is that how it should be? I cant really ask her to praise me more about how confident, passionate, blah blah i am...

What are your opinions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

My prof wrote me a letter and then asked me to look over it.

I know that adcoms looking for hidden insinuations and you cant use tricky language.

she used a couple of phrases which I am thinking of re-phrasing

Also, is it a compliment if she says, "....was one of the better students in my class..." doesn't that have slightly negative connotations?

Also, there's a lot of mention of whats on my CV and i feel not as much about my interpersonal skills. is that how it should be? I cant really ask her to praise me more about how confident, passionate, blah blah i am...

What are your opinions?

Thanks

Ask if she can make the letter more personal, adding anecdotes. This would definitely strengthen and support the claims in the letter.

I would be upfront with her, but in a polite way. Just say something like "I like what you wrote..could you maybe elaborate on these points? Adcoms like specifics". I told one of my letter writers that I wanted her to add a few sentences to elaborate on one of the qualities she discussed in the letter. She didn't seem to care too much. The fact that she showed it to you means that she wants your input so that she can write you the best letter possible.

Reactions: 1 user