LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambrosia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of the schools that I'm applying to require 3 LOR's, at least 2 of which should be from science professors (my school doesn't have a pre-med committee). Right now, I have 3 great LORs I'd like to use, 1 from a chem prof, 1 from my lab supervisor at work and one from an anthropology professor. Do you think this is ok, can my boss count as a second science rec? I'm still waiting for a physics prof to write me a letter too, but I don't think it will be as good as what I have right now, and would rather not use it unless I have to. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Good Question!

I am in a similar situation, you can always call and ask. I am just going to send my letters and hope like hell they accept them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are very specific and require 2 science professors who have taught you in class. I would say this would be the case in about 30% of the secondaries I've gotten back. The rest are fairly open. My suggestion is to try and get another one. There has to be someone who can write you even a half-decent one isn't there?

So if research counts as a class, can I use my advisor as a science prof?

No, I'm not getting credit for it, it's just a job. I don't know...maybe I'll send in the three that I have now to everywhere that seems more open, and get another semi-decent one from a science prof to send to other schools. Ugh, this whole process is so annoying sometimes!
Thanks for the input guys :)