Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

LOR Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by talbo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. talbo

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have a big dilemma right now, so i am preparing my application to reapply and asking my LOR writers to write new updated letters. I am trying to fix whatever mistake I made last cycle and I believe I am doing quite well on that track but stumbled upon something that I need suggestions.

So my LOR from the lab I have been working the longest I believe is mediocre and I believe like many of you have noted taht it will raise a flag, or make a very good application look not as good. I have been putting a lot more hours recently in his lab b/c course load has been gettin more light and I have more time to spend on my projects. I will most likely continue to research in his lab half time during the year taht i re-apply but will not be there this summer since i have an obligated job that i took on for the summer period. i was wondering if i should ask him to write me a LOR now or wait till I come back in september (but I won't be doing nething over the summer in the lab). Should I explain my situation to him asking him to write a longer LOR (I never read his LOR but I saw it was only 1 page long when he printed it out before sealing it) and tell him taht I really need a strong LOR from him? I need some advice here. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jetspeeder

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hmmm hard question to answer, depends on the personality of your PI and how willing he is to hear you out? maybe tell him you will be working there half time during the year when you come back? i don't know... maybe other people have better suggestions, good luck thou

4. Lacheln

Lacheln Cavorting in the Hills
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless the PI is a jerk I'd have a frank talk, explain that you are concerned about your app and want to ensure there are no weaknesses. Look him in the eye and say that you need him to write a spectacular letter, and if he can't do that no hard feelings you just need to know.

Generally speaking I'd be leery of a letter writer who didn't give me an enthusiastic response to my request, but it's possible they just didn't understand the impact they were having. (Unlikely.)