LoR questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One, can one of your own health care providers write you an LoR? What if they are something other than an MD or DO? Case in point, I've been seeing my optometrist since I was 8 or so, 15 years. I know he thinks very highly of me and we've been pretty close. He knows I want to go to medical school and I think, if I asked him to, he would write me a glowing letter of recommendation. But if he's not a good person to ask, I won't.

Two, I have heard it's bad form to have a physician who is an alumnus and/or professor, former or otherwise, from a particular medical school write you an LoR for that school. Is this true? If so, I've got a problem, as many of the doctors I get along well with at the hospital where I work went to Jefferson, which is my first choice. Also, many of the Ob/Gyns I was going to ask to shadow either attended Jefferson to taught/still teach there.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

One: I'm leaning on "no" for this, although I'm not positive. I know that you're not supposed to get LoR from friends/family and this is sorta along those lines. Plus there's the whole he's providing you with a service for which he's being paid for thing...

Two: I think this is either a good thing, or neutral. I've never heard that it's bad to do this. I think it could benefit you, since the adcom may know these recommenders and therefore may take what they say more to heart. I applied to a school where one of my recommenders works.