LOR/research Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am facing a dilemma (kind of)....I have been in a small (like 4 postdocs + me) basic science lab for 2.5 yrs but because it was new + bad organization, I haven't done much the first 1 yr. Last year, we got a new lab manager and basically the lab manager (a PhD) told me that he could write me a really good LOR even though he was not my PI. I originally was planning on asking my PI but I don't know if he will write me a strong LOR b/c we don't communicate as much since he is always in the clinic or OR. I am debating whether to ask my PI, lab manager, or both for LOR when I apply. I am also afraid if I do not ask my PI for LOR, he will be offended and I would rather leave things on a good note when I leave the lab.

Also, my PI knows I help out a lot and perform my responsibilities with 110% effort but I don't communicate w/him as much as I do w/my lab manager. Furthermore, even though I have been in this lab for a long time, I have not actually seen any publications from our lab w/my name on it, although in the very beginning my PI told me he would put my name somewhere. I heard my name was on an abstract to some journal (submit Dec) in our lab but honestly, I have not seen it yet and I don't know if that was true. I know the process of submitting an abstract + accepted abstract --> publication takes a while. I have contributed a lot but I never held my own independent project and mostly worked w/other postdocs. Like a tech role kidn of.

In a way, I feel like I wasted 2.5 yrs here when I could have gone to other bigger adn more productive research labs but I took this lab b/c my PI was a big shot and he was the first person to get back to me freshman year about research. Today I had a talk w/the postdocs and they are very appreciative of what I do but since 2 of them are leaving soon, they left me parting advice basically telling me that being in this lab any longer is not productive and will not guarantee any pubs. Given my effort and work, they told me I should look at other labs and the fact that I have skills will be a plus. I already plan on leaving this lab after this semester to focus on clinical experience and MCATs so this is kind of late in a way :(

Sorry if that was long, I would appreciate any advice on what to do from now on. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

...why not get both and ask if you can bundle them together, if you're nearing your LOR limit? It may be redundant, but the more people saying nice things about you the better.

Sorry about your lack of publication. How come you never ended up doing a project of your own? Was it for lack of aggressive pursuit by you or your PI never seemed willing to let you do something on your own? Be sure to follow up about the abstract.

But if you feel this is no longer a good use of your time there's no point in lingering there unless you need the money.

Last edited:
Hmm that's interesting I will consider that.

I never got my own project b/c 1) I would need to learn technician skills and the first 1-1.5 yrs, no postdoc was willing to take me until last year. In that time I did a lot of literature researches for my PI and the menial lab stuff which I never grumbled about 2) No lab manager so PI either micromanaged or just left it to the postdocs who were very uncoordinated w/each other since they all had their own things 3) a series of unforeseeable setbacks (literally) like nonworking radiators, short-circuited incubator or fridge in original old lab building, caused explosion & fire in the lab, thus destroying everything (samples, materials, every expensive machine in the lab) and set back our projects by a couple months if not more + we moved our lab to a different building (moving took time b/c we needed to find a new place) and 4) no prior research experience and no basic skills made it hard for me to start my own project.

Yeah the no pub part is bummer esp since in the beginning he guaranteed me publications and so far, one manuscript was shot down w/little to no chance for pub and the abstract which if is true, would be a big plus. I have learned a lot and could talk about it extensively but the no pubs will be something I feel is almost like a flag. Honestly, I think it's b/c my lab is so small that we have been moving slowly. Currently, I organize materials of the lab, do lab tech stuff, clean the place (or finish up whatever the postdocs start if they have to do other things), and do most of the administration stuff and it's starting to become a strain on me. I spend anywhere from 16-30 hours per week this semester depending on how busy we are and traffic between UG and lab location makes things worst. There was a review manuscript where I originally was going to be first author and that hurt my grades since I spent so much time but before submission, my PI and I reviewed it and we basically concluded that the topic was too broad (he was very ambitious about it) and that other ppl had published reviews on what I wrote. Of course he gave me the topic from the beginning and assured me it had not been published before as a review but I guess I should have checked. One thing I did learn is not to be naive I guess :(

Last edited: