LOR says that I'm quiet and unanswering...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I saw my LOR from my bio professor today and he wrote that I'm quiet and unanswering! This LOR was for a summer program, but I think he would also write that for my medical school letter if I asked him for one.

Is this a bad thing? I actually saw that he wrote "Nemo123 is quiet and unanswering, but (something here that I didn't get to read)."

Members don't see this ad.

It could a bad thing. It could also show how you are a good listener though. Did you just see the LOR or did you not waive your rights to see it. That could be even more of a negative.

I actually went to an interview and the person interviewing me had the LOR out in broad daylight so I got to read a little bit of it. And then I came across that. No clue what he wrote after the but, but I would assume it was something positive.

I'm fine with quiet, but answering seems very odd to me. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I wouldn't use that LOR, even if it said something positive after the "but." An LOR should basically say that you walk on water, not that you're quiet and unanswering.

So I saw my LOR from my bio professor today and he wrote that I'm quiet and unanswering! This LOR was for a summer program, but I think he would also write that for my medical school letter if I asked him for one.

Is this a bad thing? I actually saw that he wrote "Nemo123 is quiet and unanswering, but (something here that I didn't get to read)."

It seems risky to assume what admissions officers want to hear. (you know what I mean--obviously a manslaughter conviction would be a problem). You might be wrong.

Yeah, I mean, I was okay with the quiet part because I do tend to be quiet around authority figures and I'm not the talkative type (especially in large groups), but I definitely talk a lot when the group is small or it's one-on-one.

I'm more concerned about the unanswering part... What does that even mean?

Are you sure it didn't say unassuming? Because that could be a good thing... "OP is quiet and unassuming, despite being totally brilliant" or something.

Are you sure it didn't say unassuming? Because that could be a good thing... "OP is quiet and unassuming, despite being totally brilliant" or something.

This. I'm not even sure what unanswering means. Unassuming makes more sense

This. I'm not even sure what unanswering means. Unassuming makes more sense

Yeah, I was like what does unanswering even mean? Maybe it was unassuming... I do tend to misread things.

Maybe you can see whether you get into the summer program, and if you don't, ask them why. If it's a bad letter they might tell you.

Is your prof a native English speaker? If yes, I'm sure the word was "unassuming." I've never heard of "unanswering" as an adjective to describe someone.

Nemo123 is quiet and unanswering, but a perfectly cromulent student.

Is your prof a native English speaker? If yes, I'm sure the word was "unassuming." I've never heard of "unanswering" as an adjective to describe someone.

Yes, he is a native English speaker. Maybe I did just misread it.

Lol. Aren't letters supposed to be confidential?

The professor wrote it. He knows what's in it. He's the party at risk of being outed as a bad letter writer, and he can choose to reveal the letter or not; that doesn't make the letter any less confidential.

We agree to waive our rights to read the letter. However, if the professor is willing to give a copy anyway . . .

And to be honest, two of my recommenders (necessary ones - PIs) basically said, "HERE! WRITE THE LETTER!" and a third said, "Here's the letter! Make sure it's right!"

Do yourself a favor and toss away that LOR. Find professors/mentors that know you better If the letter is anything less than POSITIVE it's going to hurt you. For that reason neutral letters are bad too. LOR should contain large amounts of your positive attributes! Words like "attentive", "inquisitive", or "self-motivated" etc....

Words like "quiet" are very risky because its neutral.