bnoosha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
The OC
Status
Medical Student
Hello I was wondering what the proper etiquette is regarding showing thanks for someone who wrote me a letter of recommendation

Should i send a thank you card in teh mail, email a thank you...or stop by their office w/ like a box of choclates...

what do you guys think

THanks!!!!

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
send 'em on a 7 day cruise... you're gonna be a doctor, you can afford it!! hehe, not enough sleep last night, i'm really punchy... on a more serious note, I just sent a thank you note once I decided where I was going just saying thanks for writing me a letter, here's where I'm going next year, etc... and just put in a $5 dunkin donuts gift card (I went to school in the boston area where there are more dunkies than there are gas stations it seems)... it seemed the most appropriate thing for me.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
bnoosha said:
Hello I was wondering what the proper etiquette is regarding showing thanks for someone who wrote me a letter of recommendation

Should i send a thank you card in teh mail, email a thank you...or stop by their office w/ like a box of choclates...

what do you guys think

THanks!!!!
I just gave them a phone call.

About the Ads

daveyjwin

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
FL ,USA
Status
Attending Physician
I'm gonna stick a gift card of some sort in a thank you card and send one to all my LOR writers.

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A nice hand-written thank you card will suffice
... as well as keeping them up to date on your application progress

dhp98

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
laboholic said:
A nice hand-written thank you card will suffice
... as well as keeping them up to date on your application progress

That's exactly what I did, and they appreciated my efforts

bnoosha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
The OC
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone thanks for all your replies.
I think I will send thank you cards, and the ones I am especially close to include a small gift.

Good luck to you all in the future and thanks again.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do NOT send gifts!!!! It could be a potential disaster for the adcoms if you are accepted over someone else with similar stats and they (the other applicant) find out that you sent a gift. (Highly unlikely they'd find out, but still they could). It's also unethical for the adcoms to accept any gifts from a potential applicant for that reason. A thank-you card will suffice, and is proper etiquette. Depending on the adcom, sending a gift could also hurt you for the reasons above (at least this is my experience with Ph.D. adcoms that I've sat on as a Ph.D. student reviewing incoming applicants).

While your intentions are good, and it is a nice gesture, don't do anything that could potentially damage your application.

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Talking about LOR writers not adcoms, MegBoo, ;) .

I'd send a gift to an adcommer, like a new ferrari or something if I could. Who could turn me down after that?!

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yep, it's official. I need a vacation. This wedding planning, work, and school have officially taken their toll on me. Thank God the wedding will be over in 1 week, the semester in 3, and work, well, it's never-ending. But hey 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

For LORS, a gift is fine.

I will sit down now, and take my beating!

LOL

Thanks Hoberto - but at least everyone knows how I feel about adcoms gifts :laugh: :D :oops: :confused: :cool: :p :) ;) :eek:

About the Ads