Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LOR: sending Thank You cards or gifts

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bnoosha, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bnoosha

bnoosha Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello I was wondering what the proper etiquette is regarding showing thanks for someone who wrote me a letter of recommendation

Should i send a thank you card in teh mail, email a thank you...or stop by their office w/ like a box of choclates...

what do you guys think

THanks!!!!

2. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    send 'em on a 7 day cruise... you're gonna be a doctor, you can afford it!! hehe, not enough sleep last night, i'm really punchy... on a more serious note, I just sent a thank you note once I decided where I was going just saying thanks for writing me a letter, here's where I'm going next year, etc... and just put in a $5 dunkin donuts gift card (I went to school in the boston area where there are more dunkies than there are gas stations it seems)... it seemed the most appropriate thing for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I just gave them a phone call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm gonna stick a gift card of some sort in a thank you card and send one to all my LOR writers.

5. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A nice hand-written thank you card will suffice
    ... as well as keeping them up to date on your application progress

6. dhp98

dhp98 Member
    10+ Year Member

That's exactly what I did, and they appreciated my efforts

7. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At the end of the interview process I plan to send thank you cards. a couple of people I am keeping them up to date via email.

8. bnoosha

bnoosha Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone thanks for all your replies.
    I think I will send thank you cards, and the ones I am especially close to include a small gift.

Good luck to you all in the future and thanks again.

9. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do NOT send gifts!!!! It could be a potential disaster for the adcoms if you are accepted over someone else with similar stats and they (the other applicant) find out that you sent a gift. (Highly unlikely they'd find out, but still they could). It's also unethical for the adcoms to accept any gifts from a potential applicant for that reason. A thank-you card will suffice, and is proper etiquette. Depending on the adcom, sending a gift could also hurt you for the reasons above (at least this is my experience with Ph.D. adcoms that I've sat on as a Ph.D. student reviewing incoming applicants).

While your intentions are good, and it is a nice gesture, don't do anything that could potentially damage your application.

10. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Talking about LOR writers not adcoms, MegBoo, ;) .

I'd send a gift to an adcommer, like a new ferrari or something if I could. Who could turn me down after that?!

11. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, it's official. I need a vacation. This wedding planning, work, and school have officially taken their toll on me. Thank God the wedding will be over in 1 week, the semester in 3, and work, well, it's never-ending. But hey 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

For LORS, a gift is fine.

I will sit down now, and take my beating!

LOL

Thanks Hoberto - but at least everyone knows how I feel about adcoms gifts :laugh: :D :oops: :confused: :cool: :p :) ;) :eek: