LoR specifically for prelim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking of applying to an advanced program, thus requiring a prelim/transitional year. I figured I would just have 3-4 letters and send them to both the advanced and preliminary spots, but one of my letter writers suggested that he will format the letter to highlight the advanced specialty.

How bad does it look if my LoR sent to the prelim programs are slightly focused on my advanced program?

What do most people do?

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking of applying to an advanced program, thus requiring a prelim/transitional year. I figured I would just have 3-4 letters and send them to both the advanced and preliminary spots, but one of my letter writers suggested that he will format the letter to highlight the advanced specialty.

How bad does it look if my LoR sent to the prelim programs are slightly focused on my advanced program?

What do most people do?

Personally, I matched into a categorical so take this with a grain of salt, but what I've always heard is that you should focus on your advanced program. Prelims KNOW you're doing an advanced program; that's why you need a prelim! They're not going to get their feelings hurt or anything if your focus is on the advanced-- obviously, that's more important.

i applied to both advanced and prelim/TY programs this year.. I told all my LOR writers to write letters for my specialty (anesthesia) and I had no problems getting Prelim/TY interview, my personal statement was also mostly addressed to my specialty and at the end I added a few lines of how I think it's important to have a good foundation of basic medical knowledge which can be provided by doing a prelim/ty internship.

These programs know that you're going to do something else and just need a prelim/ty year and thus don't really care that much if you write a personal statement or have LORs specifically for the prelim/ty applications.

Some TYs/prelims require an IM letter, some don't. I would highly suggest you get one. There was even a radonc program this year (UPenn) that required one.

I agree that it would be good to get a medicine letter (ideally from your Sub-i if you've done one). A medical subspecialty letter (ID, pulm, cards) is another alternative.

All letters should be directed at the advanced program. Prelims and TYs are fine with this. I applied in derm this year and had 2 letters from dermatologists and two from medicine (one sub-i, one ID from an elective). This combination seemed to go over well on all ends.

You also do not need to write a separate personal statement for prelims/TYs. I would add a sentence or two about why you want to do a TY/prelim to the end of your PS that you used for your advanced program (this is what I did), but I know some people didn't even add such a sentence and did fine.