LOR submission in September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perox123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 LOR submitted and scanned and they are ready for 9/1. I have an opportunity to get 4th LOR and in case I mail it tomorrow the letter will be ready in few weeks.
I have already assigned the letter writer. Could I choose this 4th letter (in addition to 3 that are already ready) even tough the letter in not present in the post office when I apply for programs on 9/1?

Any advice, how should I do in this situation since I think this letter will be helpful for my application.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3 LOR submitted and scanned and they are ready for 9/1. I have an opportunity to get 4th LOR and in case I mail it tomorrow the letter will be ready in few weeks.
I have already assigned the letter writer. Could I choose this 4th letter (in addition to 3 that are already ready) even tough the letter in not present in the post office when I apply for programs on 9/1?

Any advice, how should I do in this situation since I think this letter will be helpful for my application.

Thanks a lot!

I have the same question. I called ERAS and they told me I could do it either way - either allot the 4th writer now (i.e. apply with 4 letters on sept 1st) and the letter gets transmitted as soon as they upload it. Or else, wait for it to show up in ADTS and then manually add it myself to programs. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, my 4th letter went out on Friday (8/21). Was wondering if anyone has experience with this - I would just like to allot my 4th letter now -but will programs get annoyed if they see a 4th letter allotted but cant download it?

I have the same question. I called ERAS and they told me I could do it either way - either allot the 4th writer now (i.e. apply with 4 letters on sept 1st) and the letter gets transmitted as soon as they upload it. Or else, wait for it to show up in ADTS and then manually add it myself to programs. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, my 4th letter went out on Friday (8/21). Was wondering if anyone has experience with this - I would just like to allot my 4th letter now -but will programs get annoyed if they see a 4th letter allotted but cant download it?

Programs will only see the letters as they are dowloaded and sent through the ERAS Post Office--we won't know that there is a fourth letter to come. In this case, I REALLY think it won't make any difference which avenue you take, but the first option seems like it would take less work on your part.

I think we don't have anything to lose. In case PD downloads the application in the middle of September then it is possible that the letter will be available in the post-office.

Does anyone know when PD usually start downloading applications? Immediately on 9/1 or later?

Thanks

Programs will only see the letters as they are dowloaded and sent through the ERAS Post Office--we won't know that there is a fourth letter to come. In this case, I REALLY think it won't make any difference which avenue you take, but the first option seems like it would take less work on your part.

Thanks! I completely agree - it would be much lesser work. Thanks!

-but will programs get annoyed if they see a 4th letter allotted but cant download it?

I'm not certain, but I would think that is why there is a hired residency coordinator(s) & recruiters for this. This is their job. I would FOR SURE allot that 4th writer and have the program download it later (ERAS informed me that the program gets notified when there are new updates to your application, ie when your letter comes in). I read a post on the IM forum, where a student went unmatched with 3 letters, b/c his 3rd letter writer didn't submit the letter and he only had 2 letters. Definitely assign all 4, there is no harm vs. the consequences of not all 4 going through, ya know...

I'm not certain, but I would think that is why there is a hired residency coordinator(s) & recruiters for this. This is their job. I would FOR SURE allot that 4th writer and have the program download it later (ERAS informed me that the program gets notified when there are new updates to your application, ie when your letter comes in). I read a post on the IM forum, where a student went unmatched with 3 letters, b/c his 3rd letter writer didn't submit the letter and he only had 2 letters. Definitely assign all 4, there is no harm vs. the consequences of not all 4 going through, ya know...

Shouldn't he have seen there were only 2 letters in ERAS?