LOR thankyou letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I go about this? I see this professor everyday almost, should i still write him a letter? Or just thank him in person? Also, how can I bring up the subject and status of the LOR he said he'd write without seeming nosey? I gave him all materials in early January. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, its me Ripal , I had a question, are you having your teachers save the Letters of recommendation on to a disk or so until the application cycle begins....because we have to have them attach a form to the letter?

rip921 said:
Hey, its me Ripal , I had a question, are you having your teachers save the Letters of recommendation on to a disk or so until the application cycle begins....because we have to have them attach a form to the letter?

Most professors automatically save a copy for their records. If in doubt about your professor ask him/her if they retain copies, and if the answer is 'no', see if a copy of your letter can be saved.

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
How should I go about this? I see this professor everyday almost, should i still write him a letter? Or just thank him in person? Also, how can I bring up the subject and status of the LOR he said he'd write without seeming nosey? I gave him all materials in early January. Thanks!

It's still Feburary and your professor has plenty of time to write that letter. I would start asking in late March or April. I mailed a thank you note to each of my recommendors. I would encourage you to do the same: verbal praise may be forgotton and a letter is something that can be placed in a tenure track file. ;)

so would I just tell the professors that I am going to stop by in May when the form that needs to be attached to the letter of recommendation comes out, and when that form is available, I'll give it to him?

rip921 said:
so would I just tell the professors that I am going to stop by in May when the form that needs to be attached to the letter of recommendation comes out, and when that form is available, I'll give it to him?

I would inform your recommendors that they need to include a LOR matching form with their LOR and that it is not available at the moment. Most professors will either be very familiar with the whole process and/or will be very understanding. Also, professors tend to very busy people and probably would appreciate the additional time that you will afford them. I certainly wouldn't bother them with constant reminders, but maybe a couple of weeks before your deadline approaches just stop by their office and inquire about the status of your LOR. I gave all my recommendors a time frame of about six weeks. A couple were really quick in getting their LOR out while some took the full time but all of them completed their LOR's for me. Best of luck!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and replies!...SDN Rocks!

How far in advance should I ask the professors if they will write me an LOR? I wanted to get a recommendation from a professor whose class I'm taking this semester, but obviously my grade will not be final until the end of april. Can I notify her in say mid-april and set the deadline for mid-may?

What materials are to be given to your recommendors... and once they are done do they give the letter back to you to send or do they send it to the schools directly for confidentiality?

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with this part of the process.

I have a question, like I have heard some from some people that AADSAS has lost their Letters of recommendation, or so like I am giving my recommenders information about me and when the form comes out in mid may or so, I'll stop by and give the the form and whatever else they need to send it directly to aadsas....some people have said that my social security # should be on everything...anybody hear anything about that?

AUTigers said:
What materials are to be given to your recommendors... and once they are done do they give the letter back to you to send or do they send it to the schools directly for confidentiality?

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with this part of the process.

I gave my recommendors a copy of my personal statement, my curriculum vitae (CV), an unofficial transcript, and the LOR matching form. (If you wonder why I did this run a search and you'll find many threads dedicated to the whole LOR process.) Although not unheard of, it is unusual for a LOR to be handed back to the student. Why? Primarily because the LOR is a confidential, professional opinion of a candidate. A lot of programs request that LOR's be sent by the professor directly to them so as not to compromise any integrity in the studen't evaluation. Also, many programs ask that you sign a waiver stating that you give up the right to view such letters.

rip921 said:
I have a question, like I have heard some from some people that AADSAS has lost their Letters of recommendation, or so like I am giving my recommenders information about me and when the form comes out in mid may or so, I'll stop by and give the the form and whatever else they need to send it directly to aadsas....some people have said that my social security # should be on everything...anybody hear anything about that?

AADSAS is capable of loosing more than just your LOR's, believe me. If you want to utilize this aspect of AADSAS what you will need to do is have your recommendors enclose the LOR matching form with their letter. You fill out part of the form and sign it and then your recommendor completes the rest. It is merely a way for AADSAS to make sure that the LOR ends up in the correct file. If you don't want to have your LOR's sent through AADSAS, and many people don't, then you don't have to include the LOR matching form. If you go this route then be sure to provide complete names and addresses for each program you are applying to so that your recommendors can mail out each LOR to the correct place. In both cases make sure that they notate your full name (no nicknames, etc.) and at least your SS#. Doing so ensures that in case the LOR matching form becomes seperated or lost, or is not included at all, individuals can still correctly pair the LOR to your application.