LOR time stamps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanda1o

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letters was originally written almost two full years ago. The author wanted to write it while I was still fresh in his mind, and I don't argue that. He emailed it to me at the time and I have it saved, just in case. My question is... when the apps open up next month, and I have him submit the letter, should the time stamp be changed to a recent date? The content of the letter is the same, (the author is the post-doc in the lab I worked at), but should the letter be addressed with a recent date?

Members don't see this ad.

is it saved through a confidential website or just provided to you for your assessment? Usually admissions values letters which are not available for applicant to see. Two years ago is lengthy time. But if you dilute it among other letter writers then it is better to have. I would suggest that if you can, please see if that post-doct can relabel the date on the letter. If you have the letter, you can but I would highly advise against it and perhaps have the person submit the writing straight into a LOR holding website.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to hijack this thread, but does the issue date really matter that much? I have been collecting my LoRs in interfolio with the earliest one being in summer 2015, and I am applying cycle of 2017-2018. Would it matter that much?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it saved through a confidential website or just provided to you for your assessment? Usually admissions values letters which are not available for applicant to see. Two years ago is lengthy time. But if you dilute it among other letter writers then it is better to have. I would suggest that if you can, please see if that post-doct can relabel the date on the letter. If you have the letter, you can but I would highly advise against it and perhaps have the person submit the writing straight into a LOR holding website.

It was provided for me originally. Basically so he never lost it, before it was set to be turned in. I can have him re-write it/relabel the date though. I was just curious if semi-old letters are okay.

I think it is clever to collect letters from recommenders when they are fresh in memory. The only problem with collecting them from >2 years out is of what the person's character is now at the near present. 2 years is plenty for someone to change to a large extent so admissions often stresses having more relevant and recent letters. I think relabeling the date and editing a bit by the letter writer and then submitting it onto a more confidential collection spot is better.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it is clever to collect letters from recommenders when they are fresh in memory. The only problem with collecting them from >2 years out is of what the person's character is now at the near present. 2 years is plenty for someone to change to a large extent so admissions often stresses having more relevant and recent letters. I think relabeling the date and editing a bit by the letter writer and then submitting it onto a more confidential collection spot is better.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I will email it to him and have him make minor changes to it. Do you suggest using interfolio? I've heard that it's much easier for the authors to simply upload the letter directly onto AMCAS and AACOMAS themselves, rather than using a third party LOR site such as Interfolio.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I will email it to him and have him make minor changes to it. Do you suggest using interfolio? I've heard that it's much easier for the authors to simply upload the letter directly onto AMCAS and AACOMAS themselves, rather than using a third party LOR site such as Interfolio.
actually, most of your Letter writers don't really care. Both methods are equally convenient for them.