May 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys,

I applied on Sept 15th without the Chair letter, and it finally came last week. I released it on ERAS to the schools that needed it. Do I need to send them an email letting them know my application for them is complete, or do they get notified? (email the program coordinator not the PD).

Thanks you!

Sep 22, 2010
Status
I believe that if your file has been downloaded by a program, anything added to it gets automatically downloaded anyway so no need to notify programs.
Although, I'm not sure how this works for programs using the new web-based ERAS.

mcl

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status
Academic Administration
Although, I'm not sure how this works for programs using the new web-based ERAS.
New items get added in real time. From the Dashboard we generate a list of all new documents received within a time frame of our choosing.

Reactions: Winged Scapula

OneoftheGuptas

Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
I am still waiting on an LOR that should hopefully get uploaded this week. Do you think a program would have rejected my application already based on only having 2 LORs (1 clinical and 1 research), rather than 3 (the third is clinical)?

If they have rejected it, will they still be notified of the update to my application?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Have you received an actual rejection notice? If not, then they likely haven't rejected it at this point, just ignored it, or not even seen it (depending on filters). If you have been formally rejected, they won't get the updated letter (because you're out of their system). But if you're just not even on their radar yet because of your incomplete app, then yes, they'll know about it.

OneoftheGuptas

Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for the reply, Gutonc!

I have received 1 rejection so far, but had understood that many programs do not necessarily send a formal rejection.
Perhaps it might be a good idea to contact each program and inform them of the update, just in case?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Perhaps it might be a good idea to contact each program and inform them of the update, just in case?
Sure...go ahead and do that...

Reactions: AMEHigh

thehundredthone

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2012
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Programs get an update when your documents have changed, I think. It would be redundant to notify them separately by email, unless perhaps you have a special interest in one of them and have something specific to say aside from "Look, new letter".

OneoftheGuptas

Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Yup, I understand that. But what about programs that have rejected my application without sending a formal rejection? Does that mean the app is still in their system? If so, then I would only need to contact the program that sent a rejection to me by email.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
If you don't have a formal rejection then how on earth do you know that you've been rejected?

Refer to the face palm gif above. I'm too lazy to link to it again.

mcl

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status
Academic Administration
Yup, I understand that. But what about programs that have rejected my application without sending a formal rejection? Does that mean the app is still in their system? If so, then I would only need to contact the program that sent a rejection to me by email.
I always counsel that applicants should do whatever will allow them to sleep at night, knowing they've given themselves the best chance to optimize their opportunities. That said, my email in box greeted me this morning with 18 notes from applicants informing me of an added letter, or a grade on a subI, or that they've just taken their Step 2 and their score should be back in a few weeks. It's overwhelming--especially when most of the time it's something I'm going to find out anyway as soon as I log into ERAS. Send the email if you think you're a good candidate for that program who will be overlooked otherwise, but don't be offended if you don't get a response.

OneoftheGuptas

Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for your response, Mcl, it was very helpful!
Gutonc, most of the programs I've applied to do not send out any emails at all, unless there is an invite for an interview. Anyways, Mcl helped clear everything up! It's possible that my question seemed ridiculous to you, but I'm an IMG and would hate to commit a faux pas due to my ignorance.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for your response, Mcl, it was very helpful!
Gutonc, most of the programs I've applied to do not send out any emails at all, unless there is an invite for an interview. Anyways, Mcl helped clear everything up! It's possible that my question seemed ridiculous to you, but I'm an IMG and would hate to commit a faux pas due to my ignorance.
Pray tell, how do you know you are rejected from programs like that? When you just hear crickets from them for a while?

mcl

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status
Academic Administration
At this point in the process, I only send regrets to people who have absolutely no shot at an interview because once I send a "thanks but no thanks" email, it's really hard to take that back.

OneoftheGuptas

Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
I called the program that I had received the formal rejection from, and the coordinator informed me that she would have been updated about the changes to my application, even though I had been rejected! Good to know. :)