LOR when you had little contact with the attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is that I did very well in a rotation in a specialty I would like to pursue for residency but I had very little contact with the attending.

The attending was there only about 1 hour, 2 hours max, per day but I spent the rest of the day working with the interns and chief resident. Even when the attending was there he did not interact much with the students. It was only later that I learned it was the chief resident who had the biggest say in the evaluation. Basically the chief evaluated us because he knew us best from working directly with us everyday.

My question is what's the best way to approach the attending and ask him for a LOR when he realistically only knows me through the chief resident? Should I somehow go through the chief resident because he knows me best, or should I directly go to the attending and say something like "you don't know me very well but your chief resident gave me a great evaluation" :thumbup:? It just seems so awkward. Any advice how to handle this would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say why not just meet with him and tell him you're interested in the field. Tell him you enjoyed working with him and were wondering if he knew you well enough to write you a strong letter. If he says no, then maybe you can do another rotation where you can work more closely with an attending. How long ago was your rotation?