LOR writer calling the school on your behalf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juryyu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was waitlisted recently and one of my LOR writers asked me if I would like him to call the school on my behalf. Has anyone heard of this being successful? Or is this frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad.

I am so curious to see what ppl think about this. The president of my school was provost at my #1 med school. He wrote me a letter and I was going to ask him to call the med school on my behalf. I think we should go ahead the call cannot hurt us, worst case the call will not mean anything

I know that my physician who wrote me a LOR talked to some Adcom members at a medical school about me- I didn't end up going to that school but it was nice of the physician to at least call.

I would say it would only be effective if the letter writer has a connection at the school. If it is just Prof. X at your school it won't be that helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally depends on the school, the ADCOM, and (least importantly) the person recommending you. Once you're on the wait list, plenty of things can tip the scales in your favor, or totally against you. Anyone who makes an unsolicited call or sends an email further recommending you might help. I've been told this by professors and academic advisers who thought they were "nobody" but received emails in response to their "extra support" that said "thank you for helping us make a decision" as the student received an acceptance. ADCOMs are composed of normal human beings who are often at a loss as to who to choose among a group of equally compelling candidates. You might be a member of one in the next few years. How do you decide? You have to choose from students with basically the same scores, great ECs and LORs, and their interviewers really liked them. What tips the scales? Put yourself in their position. You'll get sick of candidates who "update" you biweekly, when they have nothing to say. But when something sends an unsolicited letter of intent, and the person who supervised their volunteering or research for 4 years emails or calls you to say "you really should take him/her, and here's why, in addition to what I already told you," wouldn't you consider this student above others? After all, part of admissions is accepting people who choose you first--it's an unofficial match game. Few professors are going to call the 30 schools their research student applied to, so a simple call or email might really make a difference.

Clearly this professor thinks quite highly of you. I think it would be a great boost to your waitlist status to have someone in a position to evaluate you call to say that they are really strongly supportive of your application. Even if it doesn't make a difference, it certainly cannot hurt you. It's how things go in the real world, too.