LOR writer MIA. WWYD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swan_13

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My third and least important LOR writer has yet to submit to two programs. The deadline for one of them (my preferred program) is Friday. The gentle reminder I emailed on Monday went unanswered. She's an adjunct prof, doesn't have an office #, and it's not possible to meet her in person.

I have a backup, a former client, who agreed to write a LOR, and it will probably be stronger, but I have to delete the prof and enter the client's info before I submit the application.

I don't want to ruffle her feathers but I want to get this app in, and I'd prefer to remove her and add my backup writer. Is it incredibly bad form to do so? I'm not sure if would be a relief to her or an insult.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My third and least important LOR writer has yet to submit to two programs. The deadline for one of them (my preferred program) is Friday. The gentle reminder I emailed on Monday went unanswered. She's an adjunct prof, doesn't have an office #, and it's not possible to meet her in person.

I have a backup, a former client, who agreed to write a LOR, and it will probably be stronger, but I have to delete the prof and enter the client's info before I submit the application.

I don't want to ruffle her feathers but I want to get this app in, and I'd prefer to remove her and add my backup writer. Is it incredibly bad form to do so? I'm not sure if would be a relief to her or an insult.
Wait...a former client? What kind of client?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would maybe give another email a try, and then perhaps contact someone who is in the same location as her to send a reminder if possible. If those options don't workout soon, then I don't think you have much choice other than to use your "backup" letter writer, assuming that person has/will have a letter ready to go by Friday (I hope that's the case!). It always sucks when these type of things happen, and I think potentially risking "bad form" (which I do not think you are doing in this case if you legitimately cannot reach her) is worth getting your applications in.

Does the backup writer know they may need to get you a letter? If not, I'd briefly update them on the situation (i.e., that you may need a letter by Friday due to unforeseen circumstances) so that they can start prepping. If you don't hear back from the original third writer by this afternoon, I'd go forward with the alternate letter.

Thanks all for the advice. I ended up going with the client’s reference. The prof emailed me back but sounded vague and spelled my name wrong... hope they got it right on the letters that they already submitted!