LOR writers... your opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D and D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's my small problem. I gave my pre-med adviser my list of LOR writers, and she doesn't like one.

I wanted to ask my orgo lab professor. I've had her for 2 semesters, volunteer with her 1x a month doing science experiments for elementary school kids, hell I even babysit her kids. Needless to say I feel this woman really knows who I am and can write me a strong recommendation.

My pre-med adviser thinks she's a bad idea. Basically because she isn't really a professor, just a lab instructor (although she has a PhD...). She instead wants me to ask my orgo professor, who is an associate professor and has a pretty succesful research lab. I also had him for both semesters, and he's a cool guy. I went to office hours, he knows I'm a good student, but I don't really feel like he knows who I am. He has recommended me (by word of mouth) in the past for a prestigious fellowship, so I know the letter wouldn't be bad. I also haven't kept in that great contact with him (if I see him I still say hey how's it going, but that's pretty much it).

So my question is, who should write the letter? I'm almost sure that the lab professor would write a more personal one, but is this better? (I mean, my mom could write a great letter too but this means nothing to med schools).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could have the lab teacher write it and the lecture professor co-sign it. But if she has a PhD and she taught you in a class (even if it's a lab), I don't see what the problem is.

as long as she has a phd and is not currently getting her phd id say the person who knows you best would be the best letter. The content of the letter is far more important then the title of the person. Both have phds so go with who would be able to give personal insight into who you are. Med schools like lors that actually say something, not just the boring same old bs like "hes smart, got an A, and is a hard worker"

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I really want her to write it, but my adviser says that the med school admissions committees do have some sort of hierarchy as far as LOR writers. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks guys. I really want her to write it, but my adviser says that the med school admissions committees do have some sort of hierarchy as far as LOR writers. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't think so. Look, don't listen to that advisor. Pre-med advisors are totally useless and clueless, IMO.

I think you lab prof seems like a good choice, especially considering the standard letters these lecture profs gives.

Honestly I'm just a little worried about going against my adviser's recommendations, especially since she's also writing me a recommendation...

I know that sounds like I'm a punk, but do you think she'd be offended if I just ignored her opinion?

eghh, since your committee LOR is kinda important too and your orgo professor likes you anyway, just go with that.

what I'd do is create like a Interfolio account and have my profs all email me recs there as well. you might want to add the orgo lab instructor letter on there and send it separately to schools

i just do it b/c i need to go back and forth b/w ref letters sometimes

Would this allow me to see the letters? For most I've requested so far I've signed for a confidential letter.

pre-med advisor became advisors because they couldn't do anything (all advisors for that matter... only like 1% of them really wanted to become advisors...)..

No one who has not gone through the process of med applications can ever know much abt the process...

Dont trust the advisor, Ur Lab Instructor is a PhD and her LOR's will be so much better than others since u have so much experience working with her.

Go and get a LOR from her !!

Honestly I'm just a little worried about going against my adviser's recommendations, especially since she's also writing me a recommendation...

I know that sounds like I'm a punk, but do you think she'd be offended if I just ignored her opinion?

y does she have to know if ur orgo professor wrote one or not?

We're going through the whole committee interview process soon, so in my application for a committee letter I need to submit my list of letter writers. The board (which she is a part of) will have access to these letters when they write the committee letter. So she will definitely know if he doesn't write one.

I agree that the person who writes the most personal letter is the best choice, but the orgo professor sounds like a pretty good choice too, especially since he has already recommended you unprompted for an award. Why don't you use both of them?

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'll get letters from both of them, that way I'm not going against my adviser but I'm also not going against my personal opinion.

Hi all,

Here's my small problem. I gave my pre-med adviser my list of LOR writers, and she doesn't like one.

Some pre-med advisors are idiot-savants... nothing's good because THEY didn't tell you to use them first. It's your application, not theirs, so take their advice with a grain of salt.