Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowjellybean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PI is writing me a LOR and I took a science class he taught. I just remembered that when I was asking him for the LOR months ago, I reminded him he also taught one of my classes. And he kind of brushed it off saying it wasn't important compared to what I've done in the lab since it was a large class. Anyway, now I'm just worried that maybe he didn't even mention that he was one of my science professors in addition to being my PI and so the letter won't meet the 2 science faculty criteria for those schools. He is out of the country until spring, I can't get a hold of him now to ask. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

He is still a professor in a science dept. (aka he is 'science faculty') writing you a req. Should be fine.

My PI is writing me a LOR and I took a science class he taught. I just remembered that when I was asking him for the LOR months ago, I reminded him he also taught one of my classes. And he kind of brushed it off saying it wasn't important compared to what I've done in the lab since it was a large class. Anyway, now I'm just worried that maybe he didn't even mention that he was one of my science professors in addition to being my PI and so the letter won't meet the 2 science faculty criteria for those schools. He is out of the country until spring, I can't get a hold of him now to ask. What should I do?

You should relax because everything will be OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
BUT some schools explicitly state the professor has to have taught you bio, chem or physics???

BUT some schools explicitly state the professor has to have taught you bio, chem or physics???

He did in class and in lab, you'll be fine. On the letter head it says "Prof. so-and-so, Dept. of Biology."

He did in class and in lab, you'll be fine. On the letter head it says "Prof. so-and-so, Dept. of Biology."

What the OP is worried about is that the letter will not state that he directly taught her in a traditional class. Some schools will consider that kind of letter a "research letter" instead of one of the science letters.

OP, can't you just express your worries to your PI and get him to resubmit?

What the OP is worried about is that the letter will not state that he directly taught her in a traditional class. Some schools will consider that kind of letter a "research letter" instead of one of the science letters.

OP, can't you just express your worries to your PI and get him to resubmit?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm worried about. Unfortunately, he is on sabbatical and I can't seem to reach him. Will schools just dismiss someone who don't meet their LOR requirements?

I doubt that. Isn't there a space on the application where you can explain anything that you think is notable? This seems like a good topic for that.

Ok, yeah it looks like that is all I can do at this point. Thanks guys.

Ok, yeah it looks like that is all I can do at this point. Thanks guys.

You are honestly worrying over nothing. Trust me, your letters will be fine. Even if he doesn't explicitly state he taught you in lecture, I doubt schools will have a problem.Just email the schools you are worried about.