Lorraine Day, MD (UCSF professor) is a total quack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.drday.com/itvdirect/index2.htm

I cant believe her colleagues at such a prestigious institution tolerate this outright quackery.

These are her claims:

1) Cancer can be cured with simple nutrition and lifestyle changes

2) Chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are completely useless in the fight against cancer

3) Pharmaceutical companies fund all research at medical schools (this is bona fide false, the NIH funds the vast majority of research at med schools).

4) Genetics has almost no role in cancer.

5) Dehydration, stress, and malnutrition cause ALL cancers

6) Germs NEVER cause disease

I swear that I've seen homeopaths and naturopaths who dont exhibit so much quackery in one foul swoop like she does.

Members don't see this ad.

MacGyver said:
http://www.drday.com/itvdirect/index2.htm

I cant believe her colleagues at such a prestigious institution tolerate this outright quackery.

These are her claims:

1) Cancer can be cured with simple nutrition and lifestyle changes

2) Chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are completely useless in the fight against cancer

3) Pharmaceutical companies fund all research at medical schools (this is bona fide false, the NIH funds the vast majority of research at med schools).

4) Genetics has almost no role in cancer.

5) Dehydration, stress, and malnutrition cause ALL cancers

6) Germs NEVER cause disease

I swear that I've seen homeopaths and naturopaths who dont exhibit so much quackery in one foul swoop like she does.
I can't find the claims you listed. I wanna read them in context to see if I agree with her.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH I forgot one more of her outrageious claims:

7) All people who get cancer are immunosuppressed

What I have learned through my 3/4 year in a pseudo-1st year medical course masters. NOTHING is ever ALWAYS or NEVER in the human body. Weird, this woman, if what is posted is true.

she's an orthopedic surgeon. don't see why she's supposedly so knowledgable about AIDs and Cancer, moreso than doctors specializing in those areas.

Never heard of her. When I do a faculty search it comes up with no hits.

Rendar5 said:
she's an orthopedic surgeon. don't see why she's supposedly so knowledgable about AIDs and Cancer, moreso than doctors specializing in those areas.

She claims to have a special revelation and knows the mystical secrets behind cancer, AIDS, and everything else. Her attitude is quite appalling.

She gives a bad name to all of us. Her medical license should be revoked immediately, and UCSF should rescind her medical degree.

Basically, she encourages people w/ cancer to stay away from doctors and drugs at all costs, insisting that they are totally useless.

Chemo and cancer treatments are certainly not perfect, but for ANYBODY to claim that you should avoid them at all costs in favor of unsubstantiated BS "natural" treatments is insulting, dangerous, and outright quackery.

i actually saw her on an infomercial a few weeks back. it was highly entertaining, although it didn't come off as much more than junk tv. there was this real tool-like interviewer parroting everything she said for the audience. 'You mean to tell me that chemotherapy is poison??!?!?'

i would think that if she's for real, she would know that paid television programming doesn't make one seem quite so credible...but who knows.

She is crazy, period :D

Intelligence is inversely proportional to the frequency of categorical claims a person makes.

Just look up polywater.

Members don't see this ad :)
not to defend her, cause i don't actually know anything about her, but this quackwatch site is not a legitimate source of information. i would be willing to bet it is funded by pharm industry types whose interest is in safeguarding their livelihood and discrediting anyone who threatens their business. i used to work for an epidemiologist who did research on environmental pollutants. her work was trashed by a site called junkscience.com or junkscience.org, which is actually jointly funded by phillip morris and one of the oil companies. give me a break. they twisted her words and also straight-up lied about what she said. i would think twice before taking such inflamatory statements as truth. see if you can find dr. day's claims from a more legitimate source before you believe that she is actually a quack. she might be, who knows. this quckwatch guy is bull**** though.

DrWuStar said:
not to defend her, cause i don't actually know anything about her, but this quackwatch site is not a legitimate source of information. i would be willing to bet it is funded by pharm industry types whose interest is in safeguarding their livelihood and discrediting anyone who threatens their business. i used to work for an epidemiologist who did research on environmental pollutants. her work was trashed by a site called junkscience.com or junkscience.org, which is actually jointly funded by phillip morris and one of the oil companies. give me a break. they twisted her words and also straight-up lied about what she said. i would think twice before taking such inflamatory statements as truth. see if you can find dr. day's claims from a more legitimate source before you believe that she is actually a quack. she might be, who knows. this quckwatch guy is bull**** though.

I tend to believe him a lot more than I believe her:

http://www.quackwatch.org/10Bio/bio.html

If you'd like to give some examples of his statements which you think are an exaggeration or a misquote of her own words, then feel free to provide them. However, the guy seems legit to me (he's won some awards from Congress and the FDA as a consumer health advocate). Why do you think he's bs'ing?

You can also see his C.V.

http://www.quackwatch.org/10Bio/biovitae.html

Also, taken straight from his C.V.:

Honors and Awards (Quackwatch)
Journal of the American Medical Association: One of nine "select sites that provide reliable health information and resources," 1998
U.S. News & World Reports: Best of the Web (one of three medical sites), 1999
Oncolink Editor's Choice, 1999
Britannica Internet Guide Award, 2000
Forbes "Best of the Web, 2000, 2001
"Nettie" Award for best Web site operated by an individual physician in 2002. MD net guide, 2003.
Other Honors and Awards

The website won an award from AMA as "reliable health information and resources". I think that pretty much vouches for him...

DrWuStar said:

Uhh.. how about reading her OWN website? If you did, you'd realize that she's her own worst enemy, based on the nonsense she spews out.

Isnt Quackwatch run by this freakish right wing Fox reporter? I.e., global warming is a hoax, mercury in water is harmless, etc

DrWuStar said:

I WORK for one of those pharm companies that developes cancer treatments. One of the biggest cancer drugs we got approved by the FDA took 10 years to develop and had a price tag of approx. $1 billion dollars . . . the company has yet to recoop all the money it spent on the project (its been 14 years). Just some food for thought.

jhk43 said:
Isnt Quackwatch run by this freakish right wing Fox reporter? I.e., global warming is a hoax, mercury in water is harmless, etc

No. See my post 2 or 3 posts up and you can read all about him. He's gotten some consumer advocacy awards and his website was ranked as one of the best medical sites by the AMA, USNews, Forbes, etc...

Note that her claims of being on staff at UCSF are in the past tense. I checked and she isn't currently on staff.

run lola run said:
i actually saw her on an infomercial a few weeks back. it was highly entertaining, although it didn't come off as much more than junk tv. there was this real tool-like interviewer parroting everything she said for the audience. 'You mean to tell me that chemotherapy is poison??!?!?'

i would think that if she's for real, she would know that paid television programming doesn't make one seem quite so credible...but who knows.
I saw the same infomercial and blew her off as a fake. Is her list of credentials for real? If so how did she get to the point where she would endorce that garbage? :eek:

rgporter said:
I saw the same infomercial and blew her off as a fake. Is her list of credentials for real? If so how did she get to the point where she would endorce that garbage? :eek:

Her credentials are real, according to the quackwatch site that was posted above (which throughly criticizes her). As to how she got to that point, your guess is as good as mine, but some mind-altering drugs might have played a part :laugh:

First I blew her off as a sort of lunatic, but then I searched about her in google and came up with this...the date of the article being 1989:

"She is stepping down as chief of orthopedic surgery February 1 to concentrate on her duties as an associate professor of surgery at the University of California at San Francisco. Day will still operate on patients, but only a fraction of the number that come before her at San Francisco General, one of the foremost trauma hospitals in the world. "

I really don't expect such outrageous claims to come from a professor of surgery at UCSF, even if it's a former professor of surgery... very strange. Maybe the herbal remedies had some kind of side effects on her brain???

Here's the full text of the article, if you wanna take a look at it:
http://www.aegis.com/news/sc/1989/SC891103.html

yeah, when i saw the infomerical i was kindof critical too, so i actually called the 800 number at the bottom of the screen (we'll see if it was really toll-free when i get the phone bill :p )

anyways, just cause i was curious i asked some questions about her...they couldn't tell me where she went to med school or where her training was from, or even what professional associations she is a part of. only that she was at sf general in orthpaedics.

i'm not against alternative medicine at all. but i wasn't impressed how she was twisting words to say things that were technically correct, but would most likely misunderstood by the average non-medically trained viewer. half-truths, maybe

There is a really interesting letter from Lorraine Day to the famous Dr. Dean Edell (not that he is famous by his accomplishments or anything, except I saw him on the news all the time when I was growing up) that included a couple of interesting bits:

http://www.zundelsite.org/zundel_persecuted/nov07_zgram.html

1. Lorraine Day has not practiced medicine for 10 years - how could she be the chair of ortho in 1998?

2. From Day directly: "What is your definition of a neo-nazi? Any German who is tired of the German-bashing constantly carried on by the Zionist Jews?"

Believe it or not, a read of reviews of her book "AIDS What the government isn't telling you" on Amazon.com will give you a pretty good idea of what the nutcases of this country think. Here's an example:

"If you think we live in a free country, do some research into the "Virginia Company" which owned by the Queen. You will find that She actually owns the united states of America."

I'm watching her informercial as I write this, so for amusement's sake I thought I'd bump this up. What scares me the most is that the "average" American will see her infomercial and believe what she says, so much so that they'd probably argue with their own physicians if he/she were to say something that contradicted what Ms. (I am NOT referring to this woman as Dr.) Day is claiming on her infomercial.