LORs after starting residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a time, say after starting internship, that we are allowed to read the LORs that were written for us? I'm curious to see what's in mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a time, say after starting internship, that we are allowed to read the LORs that were written for us? I'm curious to see what's in mine.

The whole point of waiving your right to see the letters is that the writers can write with complete candor, knowing you ill never see it. As aPD indicated, never means never. If they knew there was a time when you might see it, it might affect how candid they would be, and so that again defeats the purpose of the waiver.

The waiver just means people don't HAVE to let you see it. If someone to whom it was legitimately sent gives you a copy, or lets you see it, that's entirely permissible. So your program director could show them to you without any problems.

I suspect that in the smaller fields you're more likely to see them, or at least know what they say. But in bigger fields like medicine or surgery, I doubt you'll get to. At this point, I've seen all my letters (except one) from both match years, even though I waived access.

Last edited:
The waiver just means people don't HAVE to let you see it. If someone to whom it was legitimately sent gives you a copy, or lets you see it, that's entirely permissible. So your program director could show them to you without any problems.

I suspect that in the smaller fields you're more likely to see them, or at least know what they say. But in bigger fields like medicine or surgery, I doubt you'll get to. At this point, I've seen all my letters (except one) from both match years, even though I waived access.

Only the writer really should have the right to show it to you actually -- That is the person for whom the incentive to be candid extends. The whole point of the waiver is that folks will be less than honest in their recommendations if they are afraid you will be reading it. It should also be noted that the waiver is a contractual agreement between you, ERAS and your recommender, so no individual program technically has the right to show the letter -- they are a beneficiary but not a party to that agreement. I suspect they are running afoul of their own agreement with ERAS by doing so.

A person, or group of persons, to whom a letter is addressed has the right to do with it as they please, regardless of the method by which it's delivered.

Unless they have contractually agreed with ERAS that they don't have such right... which I believe is going to be the case here.

I read ERAS' rules. They're all about applicant misconduct, plagiarism and the like. I'm quite certain they don't care if someone shows you your letters, as long as you didn't fake them yourself. But you can always report my situation and see what happens.

Last edited: