LORs and Board Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makimo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year student and am trying to get my "stuff" together to apply to residency programs. I have gotten different feedback regarding two questions and would really appreciate any input regarding either of them:

1. Is it best to not sign one's rights to read LORs away?

2. Is a Board score of 230 considered competative for the better programs in traditionally noncompetative fields (Family and Internal Med)?

Thank you for any feedback that you all provide. Hope that everyone has a great week. :) , Makimo

Members don't see this ad.

A Step 1 score of 230 is nearly a standard deviation above the mean for all test takers. Thus, I imagine it would be competitive at some of the better IM programs across the country. However, as I noted in another thread, there are so many variables that there is no guarantee that a higher than average USMLE score will net you an interview, let alone a match.

I don't advise that people see their LORs but would suggest you ask your Student Affairs Office (or whomever coordinates your residency application) whether or not they look at the letters and notify you if something is less than flattering (mine said they did that). One would hope that if a letter writer were intent on screwing you with a bad letter they would refuse to do it - but we all know there are people out there who derive some sick pleasure in hurting others. At any rate, I would trust that my Dean's office/SAO would know what content is appropriate and favorable in a LOR. I know others here have suggested that students don't waive their rights because you can't trust that you will get a good letter or that the residency programs don't really care if you do or not. I don't know if they do or not, but I figure if I know my letters are good (or are as sure as I can be) why even worry about the hint of suspicion that the letters might not be truthful?