LORs - do PDs call up the LOR writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering do the PDs or the residency coordinators call up the letter writer to get more information or clear some doubts or are they usually content with whats written in the letter. Anybody has any idea?

Members don't see this ad.

maverick_pkg said:
Hi I was just wondering do the PDs or the residency coordinators call up the letter writer to get more information or clear some doubts or are they usually content with whats written in the letter. Anybody has any idea?

Hi there,
Program Directors definitely call LOR writers especially if they are interested in the candidate. A good thing to do for your LOR writers is to give them a copy of your personal statement and resume so that they have the most detailed info about you.
njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Hi there,
Program Directors definitely call LOR writers especially if they are interested in the candidate. A good thing to do for your LOR writers is to give them a copy of your personal statement and resume so that they have the most detailed info about you.

okay so what happens if your LOR is 1-2 years old and from an away elective. Suppose the writer no longer remembers the student in that much detail. Is this a big problem or are the letter writers supposed to keep a backup copy of all the LORs they write so that they can look at them again if need arises later.

Pray they remember you. That is why if you can, try to save and ask for your LORs to the time you are applying. If its been a while, call the writer and inform them that you are applying now and that they might recieve a call asking about you. That will help serve to refresh their memory and also give you an idea of how much they actually remember you.

traumasurgeon said:
Pray they remember you. That is why if you can, try to save and ask for your LORs to the time you are applying. If its been a while, call the writer and inform them that you are applying now and that they might recieve a call asking about you. That will help serve to refresh their memory and also give you an idea of how much they actually remember you.

ya I guess I will contact the letter writer. Thanks :)

maverick_pkg said:
okay so what happens if your LOR is 1-2 years old and from an away elective. Suppose the writer no longer remembers the student in that much detail. Is this a big problem or are the letter writers supposed to keep a backup copy of all the LORs they write so that they can look at them again if need arises later.

Hi there,
Most people tend to remember outstanding people who rotated with them. If you were not that memorable, chances are, your LOR is not that strong. PDs know lots of folks and will often call LOR writers especially if they know the LOR writer and are interested in the applicant. If you are worried that your LOR writer might not remember you, drop them a note and update them on your progress/application status and that you are using their letter in your application. This is a good time to thank them again for precepting you. If nothing else, they will remember that you had good manners.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Most people tend to remember outstanding people who rotated with them. If you were not that memorable, chances are, your LOR is not that strong. PDs know lots of folks and will often call LOR writers especially if they know the LOR writer and are interested in the applicant. If you are worried that your LOR writer might not remember you, drop them a note and update them on your progress/application status and that you are using their letter in your application. This is a good time to thank them again for precepting you. If nothing else, they will remember that you had good manners.

Hi, thanks for the advice dude!! Ya, I guess contacting the writer seems the best idea. I think the letter is strong so guess I would not have been forgotten but ya if they get called, it would be better if I told her that i would be using her letter. ya the manners bit is important :D

At one of my interviews, the interviewer called a letter-writer back at my home institution right there during the interview. Fortunately, it was all good, but it just goes to show that one had better be prepared.

hey by the way, is it ok to email the attendings. Its been a while (around 2 years) so I thought directly calling them might be a bit odd. I can do after they reply.

So they are fine with receiving emails right or do they expect a call/letter/personal visit. Visit not possible for me.