LoRs for IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsg92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if below mix of letters would be appropriate for somebody applying for IM residency.
1)3rd year clerkship director-worked with him directly on inpatient
2) attending from subI
3)3rd year FM clerkship--i feel this would be an extremely positive letter, worked one on one with writer for 6 weeks. glowing comments in eval. but realize this is outside of IM and is another third year letter...has assured me will write "by far one of the best students I've worked with" sort of thing

Will be getting department letter as well of course.

I have subI coming up and then first two electives are not ideal for obtaining letters (attendings switch often) although I can probably switch out of one of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is fine. One dept letter (if offered by your school, and only for USMG's). One letter from your 3rd year IM clerkship. One letter from your SubI. One last letter from anyone you want.

I actually didn't have a letter from my IM attending from third year or IM sub-I and I applied to IM only. :sick: I went to over 10 interviews and no one ever mentioned the lack of an IM letter. :cool: (I'm not recommending this, just mentioning that it can be done)