pioneer22

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, everyone.

For medical school and MD PHD admissions, are you required to submit a letter of recommendation from EVERY PI you have had, or can you only send your most recent one?

Example: did research with one lab for freshman year, then did research in better lab for three years. Want to submit letter from PI for three years.

Thanks

LivingLikeLarry

The lifeguard
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Not sure about MD/PHD, but for most medical schools, their requirements are outlined very clearly on their websites - and I've only seen a select few that required letters from every P.I.

Get the letter that will be the strongest, and that should be fine

Noctámbulo

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2014
Some, but not all, MD-PhD programs require letters from all previous PIs. You can probably get away with not including a letter from a short-term (i.e. summer rotation) lab, but otherwise, if you list a research experience on AMCAS, you'll need to get a letter.

About the Ads

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
experience-wise, you should be able to get a LOR from a PI if you worked in that lab for 6 months or longer. Different PIs have different rules about LOR (I know some don't write LOR for summer-only researchers).

Not sure about MD/PhD programs but for most MD programs research PI letters are optional.

OP
pioneer22

pioneer22

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Some, but not all, MD-PhD programs require letters from all previous PIs. You can probably get away with not including a letter from a short-term (i.e. summer rotation) lab, but otherwise, if you list a research experience on AMCAS, you'll need to get a letter.
Can you tell me which schools require all previous PIs?

Noctámbulo

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2014
Some have looser wording (i.e. "all significant research experiences"), but others ask for the name of every PI you've worked with and have you check "yes, I will be providing a letter from this PI" or otherwise ask you to contact their office if a letter is not obtainable. The strict ones include Penn, NYU, and WUSTL-- though this is just from my limited sampling.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Some have looser wording (i.e. "all significant research experiences"), but others ask for the name of every PI you've worked with and have you check "yes, I will be providing a letter from this PI" or otherwise ask you to contact their office if a letter is not obtainable. The strict ones include Penn, NYU, and WUSTL-- though this is just from my limited sampling.
Harvard, explicitly.

About the Ads