LOR's & gifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While it is customary to get your LoR writer a small gift as a token of your appreciation, what about PI's? Part of the Professor's job description is to write their students and fellows letters of recommendation in exchange for them working for little to zero compensation.

Members don't see this ad.

We've been over this before and for any and all LOR writers the answer is the same: no gifts, please. A nice thank you note and an up-date as to one's next step on the journey (where you got accepted, where you'll matriculate) is gift enough.

What I've done is give them a little thank you card and a cartoon if they have a sense of humor. (They are PhDs. Their life is pretty bland) :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually get a carton of cigarattes for my LOR-writers. And maybe a bottle of bottom-shelf whiskey.

g3pro said:
I usually get a carton of cigarattes for my LOR-writers. And maybe a bottle of bottom-shelf whiskey.

You might laugh but I bet that's more useful than half of the gifts most LOR writers actually get.
-Dr. P.

g3pro said:

omg, i had a chemistry prof that would have loved that, for real though!! :D