LoRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prelud92

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some LoRs that I got at the beginning of my third year and planned to use in my residency application. However, I was reading that at the ERAS site that they prefer confidential LoRs for your application. Will it make a difference to program directors if you have not "waived" your right to see the letter?

Members don't see this ad.

:clap: Don't think so...I saw all my letters and evaluations. Knowing what they said helped me decide to which programs I would send them...

Did you guys ask to read your letters before they were sent out? I always wondered about that, whether or not it's rude to ask someone to write you a recommendation and ask to read it before you give him/her a list of the programs you want them to mail it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some doctors offered to send a copy of the rec letter in addition to sending it to my school for eras scanning. My school lets us look at our rec letters too. I don't know why you would waive your confidentiality because its better to be safe than sorry and if the doctor won't let you read it, is he trying to hide something from you?

personnaly, I would NEVER send out a letter of rec without having first read it!

This is your future, and I would be 100% sure that the letters are 100% positive. Trust everyone, but always shuffle the deck...

Didn't you guys have the LoR writers fill out the ERAS sheet. I have been told to always waive your right to see the letter. If the person writing wants you to see it, thats fine, but to not waive the right looks bad, from what I have heard. Some student affairs staff will read them for you and tell you how strong they think it is. I didn't see my letters because I knew the people I chose would write great letters on my behalf.

I think that was the heart of my question. Did the people that responded fill out the ERAS waiver sheets and still see their letters. I don't want my letters to be pushed off because they don't have the waiver. I also agree with the comments that I would never let an LoR on my application with out knowing how strong it is. BTW, this was my fist post and thanks for the replies and information. Steven

I did not use the ERAS LoR cover-sheet. Not one of the people I asked for a letter (five) questioned whether I had waived my right.