LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efh4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am submitting my ERAS application on the first day. However, none of my letter writers have turned in a letter. Is there a tactful way to remind them? I feel that programs won't have much to look at if all that is there is my application (no board scores since there is a delay in getting them and no LORs). Should I wait to submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

How long has it been since you asked them?

If it has been over a month, you might want to send them an email or drop a little note by their office, "asking" them if they've forgotten or need more information about your.

Even though Sept 2 is looming your application won't be hurt by being in a few weeks later or by uploading the app now and sending the letters later. Programs interested in you will often "screen" files whether you have letters or not yet.

Originally posted by efh4
I am submitting my ERAS application on the first day. However, none of my letter writers have turned in a letter. Is there a tactful way to remind them? I feel that programs won't have much to look at if all that is there is my application (no board scores since there is a delay in getting them and no LORs). Should I wait to submit my application?

This is my copyrighted strategy:

Go to your nearest bookstore and buy a box of nice thank-you cards, then, write to each one of the attendings writing your letter and THANK THEM for their recommendation and their support. Make sure you date it at the bottom. Just write those cards and leave it with their secretary, and while you are at it, be sure to suck up the secretary and give them the tall hat. Then, after that, before you leave, just ask the secretary POLITELY if they will let you know or drop you an email when the attending finished and mailed out the letter to your dean's office. ie since most attendings give the letter for the secretary to type and mail, they will have first hand info on when it goes out. If you do it correctly, most secretaries will be more than happy to make a note of that and give you a heads-up. This way you will have 1. reminded your attending in a positive way, 2. sucked up the secretary and 3. have first hand knowledge of whether or not the letter is in.

Strictly copyrighted material, guaranteed to work.

Or just ask them. "Hi, how're you? I was wondering if you had a chance to work on my letter of recommendation. Ok. That'll be great. Again, thanks for your time." <click>.

Given the tons of phone calls and other staff members harassing the attending about other things, your 10-second call or e-mail shouldn't offend them at all. If so, you're asking the wrong doc.

-Todd MSIV USC

is it generally expected to write thank you notes to attendings who write LORs?

absolutely, write a thanks you note!!! its out of simple courtesy.
they are still taking time out to help you...its not like they have to do one for you...

The secretary plan works very well (having done it myself quite often) and YES! Send your letter writer a thank you note! If nothing else, it'll help your cause if the program ever calls them to ask about you - something that occurs more often then you may think ;)