Los Angeles Premeds: Michael Gregor MD to speak at UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Street Philosopher

freebird
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the guy who wrote the infamous journal about his experience at Tufts is going to speak. remember him? here's the link to his archived page:
http://upalumni.org/medschool/

February 25, 2003 - Tuesday
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
CHS 13-105 (UCLA Hospital)

Members don't see this ad.

interesting reading!

Good to know... thanks for sharing! I'm going to try to make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to go but, don't think I can make it.

do you know what organization is hosting this?

Talk about depressing. Did you guys read any of that? I hope things aren't really that bad.

I'm getting a second degree in med school in case this guy's right. Maybe I'll get my JD and become a doctor's worst nightmare.

Originally posted by uclabruins47
do you know what organization is hosting this?

Premed AMSA. Here's the e-mail being sent out:

Speaker: Michael Greger, M.D.
February 25, 2003 - Tuesday
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
CHS 13-105

Michael Greger, M.D. is a nationally recognized speaker on a number of
important public health and social justice issues. Dr. Greger is a
general practitioner specializing in vegetarian nutrition. He is a
graduate of the Cornell University School of Agriculture and the
Tufts University School of Medicine.

Dr. Michael Greger shares personal stories from his own experiences in
medical training from his book Heart Failure: Diary of a Third Year
Medical Student in hopes of sparking discussion on controversial issues
such as informed consent, the ethics of first-time procedures, and
medical student abuse and fatigue. By opening up this dialogue, Dr.
Greger hopes to break through some of the isolation surrounding these
often painful areas and help trainees renew their school's commitment
to medical student well-being.

www.veganMD.org

Food will be served. Please come and join us for dinner and a great
discussion!

as a tufts student I found some of Dr. Greger's writings interesting to say the least.. while Tufts is certainly not a perfect school by any means, my experiences so far with anatomy and my early clinical experiences have been nothing like what he mentioned (which is, BTW, a lot of quotes from journals). We are always taught in our Interviewing and Physical Diagnosis courses to be respectful to patients at all times, and there were no "lopping off of breasts" on cadavers in the anatomy lab to say the least. All of the doctors I've worked with via Selectives and PD II have been great, and I can tell it is not an act to impress us. And I think a lot has changed since he was in med school, with doctors working to fight medical student and resident abuse and limit working hours (albeit these are still problems). And I'm sorry, but some of his realizations and points are just plain naive. Gee, who would have ever thought that many med students and docs have narcissistic personality disorder?:D And c'mon, if I ever want to grow up to become a doctor that knows how to help people I can not stop to give EVERY single homeless person on the street money or invite them to my apartment to live or walk 50 ppl/day to a shelter. Give me a break. I'm also rather suspicious of the fact that he never mentioned any friends except for his fiancee, who seemed to serve the purpose in his book of regurgitating his opinions on med school. He also focused on everything negative about the staff, with hardly any positive stories about the patients. Trust me, it is hard to ignore patients and the kind of $#-+ many of them go through, going to my Selective in Peds and my PDII day at Shattuck Hospital are what keep me going and what helps me keep my silly problems in perspective. I know third year will be tough, but it will mean more to me than being warm and safe in the lecture hall, even if some surgeons are mean and crude and awful for 12 weeks.
anyway, best of luck to any applicants and let me know what he has to say. just curious..

This is all interesting. The guy contacted me about 8 times to talk at my school, since we also have an AMSA chapter. Funny thing was I had an old "New Physician" and he interviewed for part of an article. At the time 1998 I believe he was a third year. Anyways I did the math and realized he never truly practiced medicine as a doctor that has gone through residency. (I definitely did not invite him to speak) Obviously the guy chose the wrong career, and some how thought doctor's were supposed to be god like and save everyone. As future doctor's, we are to try to increase the quality of life for people by reducing pain etc. Hopefully he won't be too pessimistic. Its a shame if he does, since many already struggle with their decision to become a doctor.

One more thing, anyone who will be seeing him speak, please ask him how many schools he had applied to.. it was a riduculously high number

Could you get his stats while your at it too?